8. UNFORTUNATE MISTAKES

Începe de la început

But what if he thinks badly about me for leaving without telling him?

Then again, what if he comments something bad about the song?

I think I should walk back.

Yeah, walk ba

My thoughts are interrupted as a hand is placed on my shoulders and I'm spun around.

"Holy shit! I never knew you could reach those notes in that pitch. That was awesome!"

I avert my eyes away from Ved's at his complement and offer him a quiet 'thank you'.

"God, I like you even more now!"

I snap my eyes back to his at these words and find them looking back at me with so much intensity.

He likes me? As in like like? Or as in friendly like?

I internally scratch my head in confusion and he clears his throat before saying,

"Come on! Let's head back home."

The ride back home was even more fun as the sun had started setting and the wind was cooler.

I pull my scrunchie, relieving my hair from the ponytail and shake my head a bit to loosen the strands.

But the fun was cut short as we reached our apartment soon.

The sight in front of me was definitely unexpected.

Nikhil just enters our apartment's main gate but catches sight of us and stops in his tracks.

He looks at Ved, then me, then his gaze trails to my hands that were around Ved and stays there.

I slowly unwrap my hands, shooting a quick 'thank you' with a smile to Ved, get off the bike and make my way to Nikhil.

He wordlessly walks away to the stairs and went to my house with me following suit.

When we reached my house, I noticed a note on the door from mom, saying that she left a few minutes back with some friends and that she had stored dinner for me in the fridge.

With a sigh, I unlock the door with Nikhil tailing me.

Once inside, he locks the door and we finally look at each other.

He looks both angry and hurt, but the hurt overpowered all other expressions.

His eyes finally met mine and I feel a weird tugging-like feeling in my chest.

"I thought I told you I would be giving you a ride in my bike's backseat for your first time. And I thought you agreed— no, promised too." He speaks lowly.

Flashes of me and him holding our pinkies together, smiling widely, sitting on each of our bikes occur to me.

"It was an emergency. My tires were deflated and I had to go to music class. Ved offered me a ride so I just took up his offer." I speak softly, trying to reason with him.

"You could have asked your mom for a ride. Hell, you could have called me!"

"I w— was getting late to music class, so I didn't call yo—"

"You could have asked your mom for a ride." He speaks slowly as if talking to a five-years-old kid.

Not knowing what to say—let's face it, he's right—I hang my head down.

"Sorry." I apologize, my voice barely audible.

From my peripheral vision, I see him running his hands through his hair in frustration, his anger starting to show up.

"What else are you going to let go for him?" He almost yells.

Looking up, I find him livid. I have never ever seen him this angry. Only a punching bag could help him.

"Why do you always speak bad about Ved? Have I ever spoken ill-manneredly about this girl you always talk about? No! So why just Ved?" I ask a bit agitated.

For some reason, thinking about all those times Nikhil had fawned over the girl brought an unsettling feeling within me.

Somehow, my statement seemed to have raised his anger even more, if that was even possible.

Taking a deep breath I continue, "Look, I'm sorry. It was just...at that moment I—"

"At that moment, my ass," He snorts and continues, "No wonder you were easily manipulated."

His words struck me so hard, making me inhale sharply.

He probably realized what he said because his eyes widen, regret showing up on his face and he starts walking closer.

"Ritu, I'm sor—"

I hold up my hands, stopping him from coming any closer.

"You've stated your opinion, now leave." I speak coldly, not recognizing my own voice.

"Listen to me I—"

"Leave." I interrupt him.

Knowing better than to stay, he leaves silently.

Swallowing the enormous lump in my throat, I felt myself helpless.

My body moves of its own accord, picks up my phone and hits the 'call' button.

The call is picked up within three rings.

"Hello?"

With a shaky voice, I speak into the phone, "Ma, when will you come home?"

A/N: Thoughts? Vote and comment, please and thank you!