Nia Stark

"Nia! Hurry up, you're going to make us both late!" Nia came running from the house with her bag in her hands. The car door opened for her and the seat came out and forward for her. She sat down and the seat pulled her into the car. The door shut and the seat belts strapped her in. Her sister was already waiting. "Do you have everything this time?" She asked.

"Now on route to downtown Hollen, first stop Hollen HomeFront Recruitment. First stop is fifteen minutes away. Traffic is light with no accidents." The car navigation spoke. The car reversed and went to the street corner. "I have my document verification, my phone and my pass." Nia watched her sister put her lipstick on in the screen mirror. She was glad cars drove themselves, otherwise her sister would have run them off the road. "And did you scan today?" Nia knew she was forgetting something. Nia pressed the small button on the door and the scanner came up on the passenger door. Nia held her right arm out to be scanned.

"Nia Stark." The system spoke. "Current mood, nervous. Current weight one-eighty five. Psychological Scale reading, Green. Green means optimizume, passionate and motivation. Green is on the healthy spectrum. Emotional Scale reading, Orange. Orange means nervousness, anger or sadness." Nia was used to getting that answer by now. She was always nervous or sad. Her sister looked at her. "If your emotional state remains in this state for too long, you will be reported. You are two shades away from red." The system rattled on ways for her to lower her emotional state to a more healthy one.The thing never went up or down.Not in the years since she came to Hollen.

"Try to cheer up. Today is the day you find out what you will be doing for the rest of your life." Everyone in the city had a purpose. It was how things worked. Tech ran everythings and sorted everything out. Everyone has purpose and it was how the city kept going. Nia's sister was a teacher. Her job was to teach the next generation so they could keep Hollen going. The only two jobs Nia wanted was working up close with the advanced technology. So one day people could go beyond the city. Or she wanted to be a scientist. There was no known cure for beating life outside the wall. There was going to be a time where the outside wanted to come in.

"What if, I don't get the jobs I want. What if I get something I don't like?" Nia asked. Her sister smiled. "You will like whatever job the system gives you. The system always knows what we desire and whatever we are suited for. It will work out." Nia didn't want to hear that. She didn't want to end up doing something she hated.

"First stop, five minutes ahead." Nia grabbed her bag. "Just relax. The test is easy. You just sit down on the chair. They give a small shot. You fall asleep. When you wake up, your sorter is the right job for you." We were entertaining the city. There were already people outside the building. Some looked too young to look for a job. "Remember not to mumble when you talk. You'll be asked to interview so try to sound confident."

"You have arrived." Nia was thinking about that small percent that didn't get a job. What if she was one of those? They didn't have a place for them in Hollen. Usually those that fell in that category were looked down on. "Good luck, I'll see you at home." Nia left the comfort of the car as she was placed on the sidewalk.

She didn't do well with speaking publicly and people mistook her nervous and quiet behavior as her being shy. She wasn't shy, she was just nervous. She was too busy over thinking to say anything. When she did speak she mumbled.

🍤 The big clock outside chimed. It was now eight a.m. The glass doors opened and everyone went in. Nia shuffled along inside with everyone else. There was a man in a dark blue robe waiting. "Welcome" He called. Everyone was silent. "Today is job sortment day. An important day in our city where everyone all over comes to see where they belong. Anyone over the age of fifteen is allowed to take the test. Many of you are excited to bring in money for your families. Others are here to serve a great purpose to the EYE. The system that allows us to be within this walls awake from the fallen outside."