when you hurt under the surface like troubled water running cold

Comincia dall'inizio

"Clarke," he started, his voice rough, "who did this to you?" She shook her head, sniffling, and looked up at him, her eyes full of pain and tears. "Clarke. Who did this?" She looked away, biting her lip, and then took a deep breath.

"Abby," Clarke whispered, barely audible. Bellamy felt rage burning through him and his vision went red. Without a word, he stood up and left the room, just as Octavia came down the stairs, makeup bag in hand. Seeing her fuming brother marching for the door, she ran in front of him, hand on his chest.

"Get out of my way, Octavia," he growled, not even looking at her.

"Wait a second, Bell, what is going on?" Octavia demanded. Then she heard Clarke crying in the bathroom and looked past her brother, who used her momentary distraction to push by her. Scarily calm, he grabbed his keys from the counter and started for the door.

"Bellamy!" It's Clarke's voice that stopped him. He turned around slowly. She was sitting on the floor of the bathroom, tears staining her cheeks and Octavia next to her, hugging her. Clarke met Bellamy's eyes. "Please, don't. Please just stay here and finish the movie with us, I'm fine. I don't want anything to happen to you." That's what broke him. That she was really sitting there, crying on the bathroom floor with an angry red handprint on her cheek, and still worried about him.

"Octavia, take care of her, I'll be back," he ordered, his voice low and angry. He slammed the door shut behind him, doing his best to ignore Clarke's cries. He had jumped in his truck, feeling numb with rage. He was going to kill Abby. He shook his head. No, no he wasn't going to touch her. Because if he did, he could end up in jail, leaving Clarke and Octavia with no one. No, he was just going to make sure she knew damn well that Clarke was no longer hers.

Several minutes later, Bellamy pulled into Abby's driveway, less angry and more determined. He slammed shut the car door and marched up to the house, banging on the door. It took a few minutes of rapid knocking until a very flustered and irritated Abby finally opened the door.

"Bellamy? What the fuck are you doing at my house at 11:30?" she demanded, not a shred of concern in her expression.

"Clarke," he bit out. Abby blinked, confused.

"Is she ok?" Nothing. Abby had no concern for her daughter's well being. She was just annoyed at being woken up so late.

"No and you should know that," Bellamy growled. "I saw what you did to her, Abby. I saw the mark, and let me tell you that is never happening again."

"Young man, I suggest you watch yourself," Abby replied coldly. "Clarke is my daughter and it is up to me as to how I raise her. You are a friend and that is all, so mind your own business and stay out of ours." Abby moved to close the door, but Bellamy held it open, stepping into the doorway. Abby fumed, but Bellamy didn't give her a chance to say another word.

"To be honest, Abby, I couldn't give a fuck about what you suggest. She may be your daughter biologically, but you are not her mother and you haven't been for a long time." Abby's mouth dropped open in shock- she couldn't believe he was speaking to her this way. But he didn't stop there. "Octavia and I are Clarke's family more than you ever have been. And I am not going to sit by and let you treat her the way you do a second longer. So here's what's going to happen. Tomorrow, you're going to leave the house while Clarke, Octavia and I come get her stuff. Then she's going to come live with us." Abby blinked, affronted. "Is there a problem Abby?" She swallowed, knowing in her heart that Bellamy wasn't wrong. Maybe this is the one thing she could do right for Clarke.

"No, there's no problem. But I want to be here when you come to get her stuff," Abby insisted. Bellamy blinked, stepping back. She's not even fighting for Clarke. He scoffed, shaking his head at her.

"I'll ask her," was all he could manage. Abby's expression hardened.

"No, I will be here. It is not up for debate, Mr. Blake."

"Fine," Bellamy growled. He then spun on his heel and marched back to his car, slamming the door shut and driving home. The anger had left him by the time he reached the house, leaving him with a broken heart and exhausted mind. But he had to be strong for Clarke. So when he got inside, he was determined not to cry until he had made sure she was ok. He warmed at the sight of his two girls curled up together on the couch, the end of 10 Things playing. Clarke wasn't crying anymore and sat straight up when he walked in.

"Bellamy," she whispered. Octavia looked up, too, concern etched in her face.

"Hey, girls," he said tiredly. He walked over and sat next to Clarke, toeing off his shoes. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine, Bellamy, are you?" Bellamy couldn't help but smile at his sweet girl, always concerned for him. He kissed her forehead.

"Yeah, Princess. I'm fine. I talked to your mom." Clarke stiffened beside him. "It's ok, we just talked. And, uh, if you want," he started slowly, not wanting to overwhelm her, "tomorrow we can go get some of your stuff and you can stay here for a while."

"But my mom-"

"We discussed it. You can go back there whenever you want, but she's okayed you staying with us... indefinitely," he added softly. Tears brimmed Clarke's eyes and she covered her mouth in shock, but Bellamy could see the smile.

"Really?" she and Octavia asked at the same time, Octavia shrieking and Clarke whispering.

"Is that a yes?" Bellamy prompted, hopeful. Clarke nods joyfully, launching herself into his arms. She buried her face in his neck, squeezing him tight.

"Yes, yes, yes!" she cried. "Thank you, Bellamy!"

"Hey I want in," Octavia complained, poking Clarke. She let go of Bellamy and he smiled as she turned to hug her best friend- no, her sister. Because that's what they are now. A family.