"Actually," Someone stepped out from the hallway behind Aang. "It wasnt because of 'gang fights or something equally shady'."

Katara whipped her head around to look at him. "You invited him?"

"Yeah, I thought you'd be a little bit nicer," Aang scooted closer to Zuko.

"Well I'm very compelled," Toph smiled. "We should let Zuko join our group. He seems pretty nice."

"Not helping Toph!" Kat hissed. Then she turned to Zuko. "Well? Let's hear what sketchy thing you did to earn that scar."

"The night my father... uh, took my mother's life, I wasn't particularly good at fire bending," He looked down. "I... tried to help my mom. She was already dead, of course, but I didn't want to believe it."

Katara shifted her weight awkwardly.

"But you would know all about that, wouldn't you?" His glare became angrier, his voice never wavering. "Of course you never saw your mother get stabbed over and over in the stomach. You didn't watch your father look at you with the same murderous look he gave your mom. I got this scar because my father tried to burn me to death. I guess a knife wasn't good enough."

Toph's eyes were wide, surprise was unusual for her. She always seemed to know what was coming. Katara looked guilty. Her eyes trained to the floor, her feet tapping nervously. No one talked for a moment.

"Well, I can see I've made the atmosphere awkward enough," He gave a fake smile, and then turned to Aang. "I'll see you later, I guess."

Aang nodded and then watched as he walked out the front doors. They creaked as they closed, and then Katara immediately let out a large sigh.

"That was awful," She said. "I can't believe I said that."

"I tried to warn you..." Aang rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yeah, great job you did there!" She said loudly. "And how did he even know my mom was murdered?"

"Kat. Come on. Be real here. You talk about it every chance you get," Sokka said.

"Shut up!" She whined, punching him in the shoulder. "You're not helping. And also, Aang, I still won't consider letting him into the group. Even after. . that."

"Seriously?" Toph furrowed her brow. "He's lonely! Can't you see that? That's why he's acting out. I'm starting to wonder if I really am the blind one around here."

She walked the way Zuko did, and Aang followed her.

"Are you going home?" Aang asked her.

"Yes and no," Toph said. "Are they following us?"

"No," Aang glanced behind them.

"I know," She grinned. "We're going to talk with Zuko."

"Really?"

"Yes!" Toph groaned. "Now hurry up."

Aang saw Zuko first, he was walking slowly down the sidewalk, smoking of course. He hadn't noticed them.

"Zuko!" Aang yelled.

He glanced back, and then stopped walking. Aang and Toph caught up with him, and then came the silence.

"What?" Zuko eventually said, annoyance leaking from his words.

"Toph wanted to talk to you," Aang said, and Toph punched him in the shoulder.

"Well. He's not wrong. I wanted you to join," She said. "I mean, I know Kat and Sokka and Suki can be a little stubborn."

"What did I even do to Suki? It's not like I burned down her village!" Zuko hissed.

"She... has a strange mind," Toph said slowly. "But what I wanted to say was that just because Kat and the others don't accept you, it doesn't mean me and Aang don't either."

"So.... you'll sit there as your other friends laugh at me and say nothing instead of laughing with them," He said sarcastically.

"No, it means I'd rather hang out with you and Aang then my friends who criticize someone on their looks and family," She said. "I'm bline, you don't think I get shit for that?"

"You are? You seem so... independent," Zuko said.

"I'll take that as a compliment," Toph grinned.

Zuko smiled lightly. Aang was relieved the conversation went that well.

"Cool, so, we're all friendly now?" Aang said wearily.

"Yeah. Sure, whatever," Zuko waved his hand. "I have to go. My uncle is waiting for me."

"Oh. Yeah, go ahead, we ride the bus," Toph said.

Zuko left, his expression a little less tired looking as he smoked his cheap cigarette.

"We're riding the bus today?" Aang asked.

Toph hooked her arm through his. "Yeah, my feet are tired."

sorry for a short chapter <3

I'm going on vacation for all of next week starting Tuesday so i probably won't be able ti update that often!