Kabanata 9

Kabanata 9

Breaking the Rocks

I stared outside the window as we passed by the ocean. The car's speed was a bit slower than Exodus' usual speed. Maybe because he wants me to see the ocean while we paved the way towards the Pueblo.

I yawned. I was still sleepy, though. I stayed up all night reading an online mystery novel. Nagsimula lang naman akong maghanap kahapon dahil wala na akong magawa. Watching a movie was not suitable for that day and I don't know why. Nang makahanap ako ng babasahin ay tinuloy-tuloy ko na para naman maiwasan kong makipag-usap kay Exodus. It's not like I have many things to say to him.

"Should I speed up?" rinig kong tanong niya matapos kung humikab. I gazed at him for a moment before turning my eyes on the road.

"Hindi ko naman sinabing bagalan mo," pagsusungit ko.

He just chuckled, amused by my tone. "What got you in a bad mood? Mamamasyal na nga tayo oh."

"Just talking to you sets me in a bad mood, Exodus. Hindi mo pa ba na-re-realize 'yon?"

"You should make me as an exception now. I am your husband."

"The more reason to be in a bad mood everyday. It's not like I want you to be my husband."

He just sighed. May narinig akong pagbulong-bulong niya pero hindi ko masyadong rinig. Bumaling ako, may paniningkit ng mata.

"Binubulong-bulong mo riyan?" I said with a slight edge on my tone. Aba, baka sinusumpa na ako nito, di ko pa alam.

"Nothing." He just shrugged. I scowled at him but his eyes were already trained on the road.

Humalukipkip ako. I'm not the type of person who's going to bother him about what he said. Sa kaniya lang. Kasi sigurado, may pang-iinsulto na naman inyo na para sa akin.

This honeymoon week sucks when you have an obnoxious husband. Hindi ko naman hiniling ang ganito pero bakit ibinigay pa rin sa akin. I cursed my past self for even challenging him. Dapat ay hindi ako nagpadala sa selos at galit. I should have cleared my mind somewhere else that night so that this jerk wouldn't have to talk to me.

But...it's already too late. It's not that simple to go back in the past and change everything.

Kahit siguro hindi ko ginawa iyon, hinding-hindi pa rin naman ako papatulan ni Marcus. I was so far from his dream girl and Trisha is...she's his everything. I never saw it clearly because I was busy with myself. I was busy becoming his ideal girl. I was busy on faking myself just for him. Marcus never acknowledged my efforts on that. Palagi niyang sinasabi na I should always be myself, and that I didn't need to do all those things just to impress him.

Kahit naman siguro wala akong gawing pagbabago, hindi naman siya ma-i-impress. While Trisha, she effortlessly got Marcus' attention with her wit and beauty. Not to mention, they both have the same career. It's no wonder that they agree on a lot of things and they ended up together.

Mapait akong napangiti. Come to think of it, if Marcus ended up with me, he'd feel sorry. I don't know a lot of things about laws and politics. I don't always join the discussion about the government or even crime things. Wala akong alam sa gano'n. He'll be sorry to have me as a wife because I was useless and I couldn't help him.

"What are you thinking?" Napakislot ako sa aking upuan. Agad akong napalingon sa pinto ng sasakyan na nakabukas na at nakadukwang sa akin si Exodus.

His face was just a few inches away from me. Ang isang kamay ay nakahawak sa ibabaw ng kotse at ang isa ay hawak ang gilid ng pinto. His figure, however, blocked the sunlight from hitting me. Naningkit lang nang bahagya ang aking mga mata upang maaninag siya.