Chapter 7~ Patient X

Start bij het begin

》》》

Later, Blue was filling up her lunch tray in the cafeteria and as she crossed the room, she overheard Aurora in line, surrounded by her usual gaggle of sycophants.

"Dr. Emery can I pay for your lunch?" a medical resident asked her. "What you can do is not stand so close that your stethoscope drags through my salad." Aurora growled at him. Stifling a laugh at the resident's reaction, Blue walked over to the table her roommates were sitting in, and slid beside them.

"How is she still number one in the rankings?" Jackie grumbled, stabbing her salad aggressively with a fork. "Seriously. She's not better than us! This one patient, she probably spent ten minutes with her, tops!" Landry joined in. "Did she solve the case?" Blue asked, taking a sip of her pumpkin soup. "Well...yeah." Landry trailed.

Blue gave him a 'seriously' look as she replied, "Then, she is just that good." "You can't seriously think that!" Elijah said in shock. "Look, I am not a fan of her ever since our first day, and I am sure she has been getting perks from being the Chief's niece, but Dr. Ramsey would not let favoritism to take place in Edenbrook even, the Chief knows that. Plus what's the point in thinking anything else? All we can do it work to better ourselves." Blue reasoned, earning a nod of admiration from Sienna.

"Saying it's unfair doesn't help us in the competition, and it certainly doesn't help our patients." Blue continued. "I think we just need to make better impressions on Dr. Ramsey. I mean...does he even know who we are." Sienna asked. "He knows who Blue is." Jackie snapped, sending a piercing stare towards Blue, who seemed to missed it, as she focused on eating her lunch. "We should all try to get some one-on-one time with him. Does he have office hours?" Elijah suggested.

"I'm not sure he had time for interns right now. He seems really wrapped up in some secret case." Blue replied. "A secret case? What are you talking about?" Sienna asked incredulously. "I saw a chart of his. The name on it was 'Patient X'. He was really distracted by it." Blue answered. "Patient X? That sounds badass! I bet he's working on some new cutting-edge treatment." Elijah said excitedly. "Ooh, do you think maybe we could help him with it?" Sienna joined in the excitement.

"Uh, I really don't want to get on Ethan Ramsey's bad side by prying into his business." Landry said. "Really? I'm always up for her prying into people's secrets." Jackie perked up slightly. "I am curious with every fiber of my being. But I have self-control." Landry snickered.

The five roommates chowed down their food, speculating excitedly about the possibilities of Ethan's secret case. After lunch, everyone splitted up to check on their separate cases. Jackie headed off without saying goodbye, and Blue chased after, feeling something amiss with her friend's behaviour.

"Hey...Jackie wait up!" Blue called up to her. "Yeah?" Jackie asked emotionless, turning to face her. "Are you mad at me?" Blue asked her. "No." Jackie curtly replied. "You could have fooled me." Blue glared, referring to Jackie's attitude towards her that whole day.
"I'm mad at myself okay? I came to Edenbrook to be the best, and right now I'm not. So whatever emotional thing you wanna do right now, I'm not interested. I can't met myself get distracted." Jackie ranted at her.

"So you're saying...I'm a distraction?" Blue asked disbelievingly. Jackie met the sad green of her friend's eyes, sighing a little as she replied grimly, "...Yeah." She shook her head and walked away, leaving Blue in a confused and hurt plight.

So much for not letting the competition affect our friendships...she thought.

》》》

After consulting a patient, Blue was filling out charts at the nurses' station when Bryce leaned beside her and sighed heavily.

"Hey there. How's your day been?" he asked her, tucking a stand of loose hair behind Blue's hair, making her cheeks flush a little. After the incident at the housewarming party, Bryce had talked to her apologizing for his behaviour at the party.