ii. The Unquiet Dead

Start from the beginning

"And it's not Naples," he continues.

"We don't care," I repeat.

"It's Cardiff," he finishes and Rose stops walking, wrinkling her nose.

"Right..." she mutters slowly.

"Well, I still don't care. I like Cardiff actually. I spent about a month here doing research on a rift that was shut in the 19th century," I tell them but miss their confused looks.

"Anyways, Christmas in the past, pretty dresses, snow! I love snow!" I laugh at absolutely nothing but I don't care. It's Christmas time, in 1869. The Doctor and Rose slowly join in but we instantly stop when there's screaming in the distance. "That's more like it!" the Doctor exclaims, tossing the newspaper over his shoulder, onto the floor and running off. I stare at Rose in glee and pick up my dress slightly and run after the Doctor with Rose.

*********

Stepping into the theatre, there are people screaming and trying to get through the doors. Rose and I push through the frightened crowd and my eyes widen when we reach the Doctor. There is some sort of ethereal blue... ghost flying about and it was coming from an old woman's mouth in the middle of the seats. "Fantastic!" the Doctor beams but I slap his on the arm.

"How is this fantastic? A woman is... dying? I think but something is happening to that poor old woman and it's killing her," I tell him but I don't think the Doctor was listening because as soon as she slumps on the chair and the crowd disappears, the Doctor runs over to the man on stage. I notice two people walking over to the old woman and picking her up. "Oi! Leave her alone!" I yell over to them. I turn around and see Rose and the Doctor on the stage talking to the man. "Rose, Doctor. I'll get 'em!" I call, hurrying out of the theatre, after them. I hear a faint "Be careful!" being called at me from the Doctor.

I run over to the maid who is putting the old woman in the back of a carriage. "What are you doing?" I ask her making her snap towards me, hiding the body in the carriage. "A tragedy, miss. Don't worry yourself, me and the master'll deal with it," she tells me leaning against the carriage. "Fact is, this poor lady's been taken with a brain-fever and we have to get her to the infirmary." I try to get in between the maid and the carriage to get to the old woman, but she doesn't seem to want to move so I push her to the side and I get a clear view of the woman. I touch her face with my right hand and say, "She's cold. She's dead." I look at the maid in disgust. "Oh, my god, what did you do to her?" But before I can say anything else, someone puts something over my mouth and I start to struggle to get free and in a few seconds, all I can see is black spots before I'm taken over by darkness.

*********

I sit up quickly but grab onto my head but I snap my head to the left when I hear a gasp and I see the same thing from the theatre. Blue face but in a male body. "Are you all right?" I ask. But he doesn't answer, instead, he slowly climbs out of the casket that he's in. "You're kidding me, yeah? You're just kidding. You're kidding me, aren't you?" The man gets out of the casket and starts to walk towards me so I start to get off whatever I'm on. "Okay, not kidding," I tell myself. I run towards the door and start trying to get out of the room. I turn back around and press myself on the door to see the same old woman getting out of the casket. I notice a flower vase, so I pull the flowers out of it and throw the vase at the slowly approaching man. He stumbles back slightly so I go back to the door and try to open it again. "Let me out! Open the door!" I yell hoping someone would hear me. "Please, let me out!" I plead. I turn my head and see the man and woman walking towards me. "Let me out, somebody open the door!" I yell, still trying to open the door but it won't budge. I start banging on the door and turn my head and see them getting closer to me. "Open the door!" I plead. I try the door handle again but it won't budge. I feel a hand being put over my mouth and I'm being dragged backwards. The door suddenly bursts open and the Doctor appears. "I think this is my dance," the Doctor says before grabbing my hand and pulling me away from the dead people. I stand next to him and I feel Rose grab my hand. "It's a prank. Must be. We're under some mesmeric influence," someone says so I turn my head and see a bearded man. "No, the dead are walking," the Doctor tells us. "Hi." he directs to me. "Hi. Who's your friend?" I ask the Doctor and Rose.

"Charles Dickens," he tells me and I have to fight back a smile.

"Ok," I say awkwardly.

"My name's the Doctor. What are you, then? What do you want?" he asks the dead people.

"Failing! Open the rift. We're dying," the dead man says creepily. "Trapped in this form. Cannot sustain. Help us." They start screaming and I look at them in disgust and I can feel Rose doing the same. The dead man and woman falls to the floor and I look at them scared.

*********

Sorry for the wait. Am trying to write these chapters but I still have work to do from school last term. I will try to finish this episode and start the next episode but I don't know if I will be writing after September 4th since I will be starting my last year at High School. Year 11. I will keep you updated if I do change my mind about posting after that date.