Chapter 2: Welcome Home (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

Start from the beginning

While his back was turned to them, Ingressus eyed the large staff and sword on the Master's back, both having been forged of diamonds. The staff was called: Voltar. It was the staff of the Voltaris Clan. Passed down to each master who would be given leadership of the Clan from the previous one. The sword, like the staff, had also been passed through generations of Voltaris masters. The sword reflected a reddish glow in the firelight when being made so long ago, the weapon had been enchanted.

Master Dominus turns around while thinking, and spots the guard, Blazien, and Ingressus. Turning back to face Obsian, Master Dominus speaks in a calm, but stern voice. "Take a small group of scouts to keep track of their movements and report to me what you find."

Obsian bowed respectfully to him, then leaves without another word. Master Dominus turns around, facing the three waiting ardoni once again. Bowing slightly in respect, the guard approached the Master, keeping his eyes to the floor. "Master Dominus, your sons have returned safely from their hunting expedition."

The Master turned his gaze past the guard, to Blazien and Ingressus, and took notice of the wounds that covered them both.

"I only remember sending out one of my sons to go hunting," Master Dominus said, giving Ingressus a hard threatening stare. Ingressus looked away, not able to meet his father's eyes. Master Dominus sighs, then turns back to the guard. "You can return to your post. Thank you for bringing them to me." The guard bows and quickly walks away, leaving the brothers to the mercy of the Master... and their father...

Master Dominus is quiet for a moment, then speaks less formally. "How is it I must continue to keep getting surprise reports about the two of you? Blazien, I know hunting is hard, and I know that the Clan needs food. But you know the rules. After dark, the only Voltaris that should be out: are the patrols. Whether you caught anything or not. I am no longer taking risks anymore. How is it that Ingressus returned with you?"

Knowing he had gone against the Master's orders by allowing Ingressus to have stayed with him, Blazien tries to find the right words to justify his actions this time. "Well... I was hunting alone at first, but Ingressus was... persistent... and convinced me to let him stay with me. And I'm glad that I didn't send him away after what happened today."

Master Dominus looked over at Ingressus, who was facing the ground, still avoiding his gaze. Dominus could see it in his son's expression, Ingressus knew he was in trouble. Dominus was aware this wasn't the first time his son had disobeyed him, and it most certainly wouldn't be the last. "Ingressus, you know better than to leave the camp. Especially after being told numerous times. Yet you still continue to disobey. Do you not realize that I keep you here for-"

"For my safety, I know..." Ingressus said, irritated. "Father, I know I'm young but-"

"And that is exactly why. You're still young, you still have much to learn. Do you not comprehend that it's not just animals out there who hunt us?! Times have been getting harder over the years and they will only continue to get worse! I need to make sure the Voltaris Clan has a future... the last thing I need to add to my list of worries is my own sons disobeying rules meant to keep them safe!"

Master Dominus takes a few deep breaths, sighing while he recomposed himself. He normally didn't lose his temper, but he had grown more worried with each passing minute the sky had darkened with his sons nowhere to be seen. He was just glad they had returned, but apparently not without taking a blow from the wilderness, as he glanced over their wounds. "I am glad that you both returned safely, and that you were able to bring back more than enough food for everyone tonight. You both look as though you fell down the mountain to get it though."