Ch.39 An Ace is the Queen in Chess

Start from the beginning

"Dammit!!" I hear Nana cursed at herself. 

"Shake it off, we have the next set to think about." Our other Wing Spiker reassures but Nana slaps her cheeks. 

"Nana," My voice broke through their chattering as everyone looked. "Set me one more time." I gave her my usual look from our 1st year, 2nd year, and then now. The look of intensity and seriousness. Nana smiles. Of course she knows that look. It means that I want every set. Even if my teammates want to hit it, I would be the one to bear with the mistake if I make one. Like that last one. If they get blocked on set point, they won't be able to handle that pressure and isn't really mentally strong like me. 

"I know Miko. Just need a pass." 

Akari breathes heavily as Raesoo rubs her court burns on her arms, Nakano tapes her fingers because she was setting much along with Mei and Yuna too since they kept getting one touches from the spikers. Akari felt tired, no joke. But she felt more alive than usual. Her jersey's sticking to her but she didn't care if anyone sees her fat or muscle, her almost toned abs. She fans herself because it's the final set. All this time, she didn't realize that the Shiratorizawa section is bigger now since the start of the match. 

"Shiratorizawa!!" 

"Let's go Akari-chan!!" Tendou cheers as he waves his jersey. Akari giggles softly as the girls waved at them. She couldn't see her family since they must be in the sea of maroon and white. But she can see Wakatoshi who was watching her. She puts her left fist in the air to him. It made her more happy that he returns it with his left as well and he smiles. 

"Final set, guys." Nakano breathes out as we huddled together, putting our arms around each other. "I mean, tbh, I don't give a shit if we lose. Because I know that we'll win." 

"Let's push it!!" Raesoo jumps a little. 

"15 points." Kiyoko sighs.

"Please, set me one more time!" Akari cuts in as Nakano laughs a bit. 

"Of course, you little Ace."

"But still, we'll use you as a decoy, like in the last set." Yuna nods in agreement. 

"Anything to get to 15 first!" Akari nods and then hears the whistle being blown. "Let's get it!" 

"Yeah!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Set 5 is up to 15 points. They can win by 2 but both wouldn't want that.

In all honesty, Niiyama had trouble playing like they were in the 1st and 2nd set. It's because they let their guard down and made unnecessary errors which costed them the 3rd and 4th set. Along with Nakano giving mostly every toss to Akari. She never got blocked yet. Some of the balls that did get blocked, Raesoo picked it up...more like Rebounds.

5-5

"Here!!" Nakano sets the ball to Akari who approaches a triple block. They were blocking her line shot. Kimiko was in the back row, waiting for an off driven spike like before, while the Libero stands in the way of a cut shot. The Setter is covering the fients and so there was only one way to go. She looks at there fingers and raised her hand up. Last second, the Wing Spiker and Middle Blocker pulled there hands away and Akari tried to snap her wrist but it wouldn't budge. The ball was ofc an off shot spike as Kimiko dives to raise it up. Nana sets back to her Opposite Hitter as she does a chance ball.

"Connect!" Raesoo yells as they did a Synchronized Attack. They were busy watching Akari because she's the Ace but Nakano, being front row dumps it.