Prologue (Edited)

Last year of Middle School, Awards Ceremony 

"I would now present to you, The Best Ace award in the Girls Volleyball league in the Miyagi Prefecture." An announcer's voice echoed in the gymnasium of Chidoriyama Junior High. "Wohi Akari!" You can hear the cheering and clapping from the bleachers and her team as Akari, known to other players as the "Ambidextrious Ace", makes her way to the center to receive her award. 

She held her head high as her wavy, dark red hair swayed in a tight ponytail on her upper back  as her baby bangs draped perfectly along the edge of her forehead. She stood and bow to the announcer, receiving the award and looked at her team with a smile. 

'Onto the next thing'  She thought to herself as her eyes scanned the bleachers to see her Father, clapping and making the a thin line of a smile along with her sisters and family. She returns and smiles and waves after returning to the line with the other receivers with awards. 

Akari Wohi receives a call from Coach Haku of the Shiratorizawa Girls VBC. He recruits her after seeing what she can do during her last year in Junior High. She happily rejected a call from Aoba Johsai since her mindset was already on going to Shiratorizawa in order to achieve her Father's dream of becoming a National Player. Akari promised her Father that she will become the Ace he was in his high school years.

Father's Legacy (Akari's POV)

I was inspired and motivated about the stories my aunties, uncles, and grandparents told me about Father's Volleyball days. 

He was called, The Dragon, because of his name and the amount of force he had as a Middle Blocker. He was only 5'8 but he had a great vertical jump. In his 3rd year, his team was first place in Nationals. Upon winning the last point with a block, he landed hard as his knees gave out. He had to go into surgery but was sad that he couldn't play like his days no more. His vertical jump was shattered. 

He had to quit though because he had my brother, Ryuichi. My mother works in an office building that deals with Finance as she too graduated from Shiratorizawa Academy. Let's just say, my whole family went their for academics and sports; Basketball, Softball, Volleyball, and Track. 

Now, it's my turn to carry on with the legacy. His legacy. It broke my heart to hear him go on about the 'if' scenarios like: 

"If my knees weren't bad like this, we could be in Tokyo while I play for the National team."

"If I was 6'0 tall, you all could've been around that tall and play volleyball on the net, being an ace like the Ace I was playing with. He was 6'2. Me and him was the only ones to rack up most of the points in a game." 

Yeah, I was annoyed when he said that. That's when I took it to heart and started to train harder. Along with my Father's help ofc as he was delighted that I am interested in volleyball. 

There is also sometimes, I just want to take a break from volleyball bc I'm lazy or I have my doubts with volleyball but I assumed it's just what an athlete's negative and lazy side. And most importantly, my muscles were sore almost everyday.  

Anyways, No Pain No Gain, right? 

"Nothing good comes easy." I said to myself. "Just because you received a scholarship to Shiratorizawa, doesn't mean that I can slack off and become a regular."

"Besides," I walked into the entrance of the school. My things are already in my dorm last week. "Who would've thought a 5'2 Junior High Ace would be accepted as the upcoming Ace of Shiratorizawa, the powerhouse." I have a feeling, at least 1 coach or person would give me shit about it. Oh, well. Bring it!