About five seconds after I told him to come over, I already hear his key in the door. I hurry to the door and stare at him like I'm seeing him for the first time. How the hell did I not know he was Rose's father before tonight? They have the same piercing green eyes and her long hair is the exact same shade of brown. She's got Elise's delicate features, but she is undeniably his daughter.

"That was quick," I comment, not knowing what else to say.

He grunts. "I've been here for an hour. I just sat in my car, not sure if I should come in or just push your key through the mailbox and get the hell away from you."

"Oh." That's both sweet and horrible. "I'm glad you decided to come in."

Nathan sighs and leans against the wall, looking absolutely exhausted. "How the hell did you keep it together, Caroline? You were so utterly composed and professional tonight. Did you know?"

"Of course not!" How could he even think that? "I just did what I had to do. You were acting like an idiot. Did you know?"

He snorted and almost smiled. "Yeah, of course, that's why I acted like I saw a ghost."

"You knew my last name, Nathan!" I'm raising my voice, but I don't give a damn. I need some of this tension to leave my body. "How the hell did you not make the connection?"

"I know at least twenty people named Collins. Besides, you're 24."

"So? What the hell does my age have to do with anything?"

Nathan grunts again and pushes himself off the wall. "When I was 24, I was still in college, being a drunk idiot. I was a mess back then. I think it took me until my thirties to get myself together. How the hell are you this grown-up at your age?"

I roll my eyes at him, but I feel proud that he sees me that way. "Don't exaggerate, Nathan. I finished high school at 18, went to college for four years and started work right away. So yeah, it's my third year of teaching. I'll be 25 in January."

He shakes his head. "That's... I seriously didn't think about that for even a second. In my mind, all 24-years-olds are waitresses or... I don't know, just doing what they have to do to put themselves through college." His eyes focus on me for the first time since he walked in. "I don't even know why I'm surprised. I knew from the moment I met you that you were different."

"Really?" I scoff, finding that hard to believe. "You saw a girl in a wet sundress with her bra shining through and you thought: wow, she's pretty damn adult for a girl in her twenties?"

He laughs along with me. "Okay, fine, I just thought you were hot and tried my best you get you into bed. I did realize you were different pretty damn soon, though. I mean... we both know that we should have ended this thing after the first week."

"Do we?" I take a deep breath, trying to be brave. "I'm not so sure."

He shakes his head and holds out his key for me to take. I don't take it, so we just stand there, looking at each other like idiots. When he realizes I'm not moving even an inch, he puts the key on the side table and moves towards the front door.

"I'm sorry I put you in this position," he says, sounding defeated. "I'll make sure never to do anything that puts your job in jeopardy ever again."

"Nathan..." My voice makes him pause, his back still to me and his hand on the doorknob. "Don't you think that this should be my decision? Since I'm the one who'll get in trouble, I think it would be nice if you actually asked me what I make of all of this."

His shoulders tense. "I won't let you put your job on the line for a fling."

A fling? Is that really all this is for him? "No," I agree, trying to stay strong. "If this is just a fling, I won't put my life on hold for that. You're right. I need more than just sex to decide to risk everything."