Misunderstood

*Boom Boom Boom*

"Wake up sweetie time to go." My mom yelled. I rolled over to look at the time, it was 4:07p.m my flight to Cali was departing at 5:30p.m. I dread this moment every summer. My mom is very busy so summer time when school is out I fly to Cali to stay with my grandma. Since my dad died its been hard on my mom working three jobs to take care of me.

*Boom Boom Boom*

"C'mon Mel get up!", Mom shouted knocking me out my thoughts, "It's already 4:28." I got up yelled ok threw on my track jacket, sweats, slid on my Nike slides, threw my hair in a messy bun and left my room. I washed my face, brushed my teeth, ate then we left for the airport. As we pulled up my mom kissed my cheek and hugged me so tight I kind of got sad. I told her I'll call her when my plane lands when it started to got too emotional. I grabbed my bags and ran into the airport just in time to catch my flight.

As the plane took off I watched as the ground fell further and further away from the plane until it looked like puzzle pieces. I took out my iPod and put in my head phones and closed my eyes silently drifting into my dreams.

...

The two hour flight felt more like thirty minutes as I shook off my sleep and fell in line to get off the plane. As soon as I got to the lobby to retrieve my bags my granny was waiting on me with the biggest smile I had ever seen. She rushed to me and immediately hugged me and asked how I was. "I'm fine gran." I replied and grabbed my bags. "I just want to get out of here, this place makes my head spin!"

While in the car my grandma asked series of questions. She started with the one she always asked first. "So Mel?" Yes gran. "Met anyone new lately?" No gran. I was definitely about to get annoyed I rolled my eyes and looked out the window preparing for her next question. "You still haven't grown out of your little phase huh?" Ughhhh I knew it was bound to come so I pulled out my phone. What phase gran I replied smartly while dialing my moms number as quickly as I could. "Umhum I know exactly what that means, you know its just a phase and pretty soon you'll look back at this a..." "Hey Ma!" I said really loud as my mom answered the phone cutting my grandma off in mid sentence. "Yea my plane landed and I'm in the car with grandma right now just checking in with you...yea..yes...you already know...ok mom be safe...I love you too...bye bye." I hung up and asked my grandma what she said she replied saying I'll learn sooner or later. I threw in my headphones unsure of how to react I felt misunderstood and a little annoyed. We got home and I went to my room to start unpacking. My room at my granny's house was way bigger than the one back home considering we stayed in an apartment. This was perhaps the best part of staying with my grandma. I put everything up and called my only two friends in Cali to let them know I was here. My friend Nisha got here first. Nisha is a 5'6 skinny stud with dreads to her shoulder that has light brown tips. She came to my window half an hour later with a ski mask on and peeped her head in as if she was about to rob me. I jumped and attempted to slap the pores off her face when she ducked screaming "chill yo its me!" I laughed and opened my window wider so she could come in. We caught up and talked about our sophomore year, crushes, and track. We were both complaining about how busy track had us that we never even had one girlfriend or date. Shortly after the doorbell rung it was Rae. Rae was 5'3 with a rockin' body. She was slim with long hair and a nose and belly button ring and an attitude out of this world. I had a crush on her for a while so I finally told her and she shot me down saying she only dated studs,which we all knew I wasn't, we've been really close friends ever since. I let her in and told my grandma we were all in my room. We started catching up with Rae and listening to her tell us her wild stories. She met this stud who was a senior but didn't want to invite her to her house or go on dates. One day she followed her home, trying to be inspector gadget, and ended up finding out she had a double life her family didn't know she dressed like a dude for school but a female at home. We all laughed because none of us had the ideal sophomore year we planned on last summer. After we talked it was at least 10:45 p.m so I offered them to spend the night. Nisha said she had an important place to be so she'd catch us later Rae decided to stay since she'd gotten dropped off. I put in our favorite movie and layed beside her wondering what it'd be like if we were dating. As my mind wondered I slowly drifted to sleep.