Chapter 3

The Rothchild family were not a rich family. At least not anymore.

Although you could argue they never were rich to begin with. Both Elizabeth and her mother worked to help keep the family afloat but that meant there was little money left for the nice things and it also explained why at the age of seventeen Elizabeth still didn't have a car.

Despite having saved the money she did get, her uncle had voiced his disapproval over the situation and as he was 'the man of the house' what he says goes.

So as Jonathan Byers pulled into their driveway, Elizabeth was hurrying to pull on her heels , knowing that they couldn't be late for work. Her uncle passed through the hall to the kitchen, shouting down the other end of the phone and she immediately felt sorry for the person on the other end.

"Mum, heading out!" she yelled up the stairs, grabbing her bag.

"That better not be that Byers boy!" her uncle appeared in the doorway. He always seemed to dislike Jonathan but Elizabeth just rolled her eyes and opened the door

"It sure is!" she said sarcastically stepping onto the porch.

"Elizabeth!" her uncle began to yell before he was cut off by the front door slamming in his face.

She jumped down the step and slid into the passenger seat. The pair had  seemed unlikely friends at first but as the both had been deemed 'weirdos' and made loners by the rest of the school they had found company in each other . Elizabeth admired the boys determination and his talent for photography and the pair grew even closer after they started working together at the local movie theatre, where they came up with a deal.
Jonathan would pick Elizabeth up on the way to work and she would pay for fuel on the way.

"might want to get going." she warned Jonathan, putting her seatbelt on. He groaned in response

"what did you do this time?" he asked looking over to see her attempt at an innocent smile. Suddenly her uncle appeared on the porch a furious expression on his face.

"you know what lets go!" Jonathan said. Elizabeth nodded her head as he pulled out of the drive and on to the road. She winced as she watched her uncle run to the gate, still yelling at her. Letting out a sigh of relief she turned to Jonathan.

"so how are you?" she asked

"I'm good y'know, my hearts still racing but I'm good" he replied. Elizabeth looked at her hands

"yeah sorry about that".

"I've never asked but, is he your dad?" Jonathan asked glancing at her before returning his eyes to the road. Elizabeth let out a laugh

"God no!" she exclaimed. Seeing his raised eyebrows she turned to face him

"Wait did I really not tell you this? That's my uncle, my dads... Dead"
she turned to watch the trees passing them

"oh I'm sorry Lizzie I shouldn't have asked" he said regret evident in his tone

"no its ok, in a way I'm kinda glad he's gone. At least he wouldn't have had to deal with my uncle." she said truthfully, trying to push the thoughts of her family away.

" I get it y'know my dads a complete dick as well"

"maybe I'm luckier then" she replied watching him to see if he was ok.

"Jesus!" Jonathan let out a laugh

"what would I do without you and your depressing conversations!" he chuckled, turning a corner.

"eh you know you love me Byers" she said. The pair laughed as they entered the shopping district.

"go on put some of your music on" she said as he reached over and turned his car radio up. Jonathan grinned as the Clash came blaring out and Elizabeth groaned.