TWO

(the same day: May 1583)

James VI

"James! Got anything yet?!" I turned my head towards my best friend and half brother, Michael exchanging a look with him as I heard the excited and gleeful shouts of my younger brother, William. It was his first hunt and he was enjoying himself greatly, us on the other hand- well, you could say we were extraordinarily anxious to get home. 

"Yes William! Come back here so we can see what you have!" I shouted back before mumbling to Michael and the guards who stood behind us, "So we can finally get home." 

The fleet chortled, nodding in agreement as we stood impatiently in the middle of a clearing in the Bloodwood forest, it was late spring, so it was warm out and comfortable weather. Although, it was getting slightly late and I promised mother we would be back before sunset. 

"Have you heard of the Irish Queen coming? I heard she's due any day now, I wonder what she's like." Michael spoke up, breaking me out of my bored and impatient stance. I looked towards him, glancing towards the guards who had also heard. 

"Yes, my lord, I heard she's quite a beauty too." A nearby guard whom I didn't remember the name of spoke up. The men all nodded, I imagined they were all imagining this queen.  I heard distant trumpets from far off, and we all turned to look. I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion before I asked, "What was that?" 

Michael glanced towards me, "Well it seems as if there is a royal visitor. Maybe that queen is making an appearance earlier than we thought." 

***

"Welcome back your grace," I nodded towards the guard and stable man who took my house from me as I distractedly looked around, my thoughts completely dedicated to this mysterious queen everyone is talking about. I turned to the stable man and asked him in a hushed tone as if it were a secret, "What have you heard of the Irish Queen? Has she arrived?" I leaned back and looked at him expectantly. His younger features took in my words and thought for a second before his chocolate eyes darted toward me and answered in the same tone as I had spoke to him in, "Well, my lord, she has arrived today. The rumors of her beauty and captive qualities are true. She has every man at court looking her way and her ladies too. The rumors have it is she's seeking protection from French rule as the queen had done." 

I nodded taking in his careful words, and thanked him with a silent nod before turning and walking away out of the stables and into the castle. 

***

(a few hours later, in her chambers)

Siobhan 

"Oh wow! A party, really, just for you?" My lady Kiera exclaimed, the excitement and happiness oozing through her voice. I nodded happily with a smile.

"Yes, these French are nicer than I have expected them to be, you know after Shawn's whole fit over insisting he came along. They are actually very kind to me and all of you as well, right?" I asked, examining a cream shoe I held in my hand, trying to find the perfect outfit for tonight. My ladies were here to help me look as perfect as I could for tonight. I glanced up from my shoe inspecting and looked around to all of my busy ladies in waiting.

"Yes, of course, but I've heard they're only nice as long as you're kind back, if you know what I mean." Brigit spoke up from across the room. She was inspecting the jewels we brought with us. She held up an emerald necklace I had received as a gift from Spain for when we traded them much needed potatoes as it was all the rage for them at the time. Those silly Spaniards.

"Oh be nice Brigit, you're only bitter because you're missing Conor," Laura shot back at her. I smiled and shook my head at the two before dropping my gaze back down to my shoe collection. 

"He said he would wait for me, I mean it's not as if we're going to be here forever!" Brigit huffed at the brunette girl who was sorting through my dresses. Laura rolled her eyes and smiled, "Okay, that is just cute and sweet."

We all nodded and agreed, and Kiera piped up from behind me as she ruffled through my messy hair. I pulled my foot into a tan heeled shoe and examined my foot whilst lifting up my white, loose, lounge dress I wore whilst getting ready. 

"He really said that? Did he get you a ring?" She questioned excitedly, as always. Kiera was always very happy and excited and that's what I loved most about her personality. I pulled the shoe off and set it next to the left one next to me on the couch I sat on, surrounded by around ten pairs of shoes. I knew I had to look perfect tonight. 

"Yes, of course he did. We're in love. But, no he didn't but he gave me this.." Brigit reached under and up her dress before pulling out a small, light brown piece of parchment- an envelope. We all stared at her with mixed expressions. I raised my eyebrows before speaking shakily with wide eyes, "Interesting place to put that Brigit."

She giggled with shinning eyes before presenting it to me. I drew a breath in before glancing at her and taking it. I tore it open carefully, examining the seal pressed on the back of it, "The seal of O'Malley?" 

The O'Malley's were a big family in Ireland who lived on a big ranch ten miles out of Dublin. They were known sailors and loved to travel the world, a distant cousin of mine as well. I had met the O'Malley's a few times before, they were kind and hardworking, but slightly rowdy and rambunctious when not in my presence. 

"I didn't know Conor was an O'Malley. That means you would be a sea wife if you married! Oh my, how many children would you have!" Laura exclaimed with a wide smile and Brigit shot her a look. I smiled at the two before pulling out the letter inside of the envelope as all my ladies began to crowd around behind me. I examined over the contents before a huge grin settled on my face, I looked up to Brigit in amazement.

"It's your father's approval of your marriage to him! You even set a date! He sent this to you? When?" I exclaimed happily to her and all the other girls began squealing. 

"Congratulations Brigit!" Kiera squealed and held her shoulders in excitement. Brigit smiled and laughed before answering, "Well, right before we left he came running towards me and told me to take it with me and open it when I pleased and to send him my reply as soon as possible and that he would miss me." 

We all squealed even louder and giggled, "Brigit this is amazing! What are you going to say!"

"Yes of course!" She exclaimed and we all jumped to hug her and laugh, our smiles too big to fit our faces. Brigit's blue eyes sparkled with happiness and her blonde hair ruffled slightly as we held her tightly in all our embraces. We held that pose for a few seconds before we all pulled away slightly as Laura exclaimed, "Well now, what are we going to wear to this party!"