iii. new family

🔥
𝙉𝙀𝙒 𝙁𝘼𝙈𝙄𝙇𝙔 !

🔥𝙉𝙀𝙒 𝙁𝘼𝙈𝙄𝙇𝙔 !

»»————- ★ ————-««

"I HONESTLY DIDN'T THINK you'd actually come back."

Eris had been true to her word. At sundown, she returned to the market alleyway with a bag of belongings over her shoulder and Kerasana by her side.

The rain was still pouring, but they were far from bothered. Eris was about to begin again, about to be known as a Resistance member and not just that damn thief that could never be caught.

"Well, I honestly didn't think you'd be here," Eris retorted. "I thought you'd have pulled a fast one and left without me."

Axel smiled. "I'm a man of my word. And I see you've brought a friend."

"My kinsni," she corrected. "Kerasana."

Kerasana nodded courteously. "You've got two for the price of one."

"The more the merrier, I suppose," he shrugged. "You a thief, too?"

"I'm more sophisticated than that. I'm an assassin."

"And a very good one." Eris made sure to add.

Stunned, Axel blinked. He looked both impressed and terrified. "Remind me not to get on the wrong side of you."

Kerasana smiled. "I only kill bad guys. I found myself become a sort of vigilante; I'd hurt or kill those who were hurting or killing the innocent."

"Now that's a skill we can use. I think you'll both be right at home in the Resistance. Speaking of which, we'd better go."

Axel gestured for Eris and Kerasana to follow him back down the alley and on to the now fairly quiet street. He told them that a friend of his had an old metal factory not far from the outskirts of the city in an area that was quiet and it was where he had his ship hidden: an old A-Wing that was in decent condition.

"So, where are we heading exactly?" Eris questioned once they were in the safe, dry factory.

"D'Qar," Axel replied. "That's where the Resistance base is. You're both gonna like it; great place."

"Anywhere is better than Igradius," Eris mumbled, earning a nod of agreement from Kerasana.

After a moment, before climbing aboard the A-Wing, Axel turned to them both and said, "look, I'm gonna give you one last chance to change your minds. You can head home now and spare yourselves of the potential nasty business that might come out of the work that the Resistance is doing."

"No," they replied in unison. "We're going."

Axel laughed. "Right. Come aboard, then."

Eris couldn't even begin to fathom what space travel was like or what awaited her and Kerasana on D'Qar. She imagined exploring the galaxy as a child, but she had to let that dream go because she thought that there was no escape from Igradius. But how wrong she was. Eris hated being wrong, but in this situation she was glad that she was.