#18 Liam you son of a bitch.

Start from the beginning

She sat down and leaned my way, trying to grab the paper from my hands. I made a mental note that she was probably going to touch me wrestling for my drawing but I was okay with that. 

"Lemme see" she pleaded with amusement.

"Nope"  I leaned backwards in an attempt to get away from her but my plan failed when she fell into me, colliding her hands with my chest to steady herself. The darkness didn't come. I was expecting it. Instead I laughed, letting a genuine giggle vibrate under her fingertips. Her cheeks grew the famous delicious blush and she sweetly turned away, hiding her embarrassment from my eyes.

Without Olivia's engagement I decided to take this opportunity for a snack so I grabbed a sports bar from my bag and proceeded to eat it. She turned to face me, probably wondering what the rustle was. I used my tongue to coat my top teeth in a layer of chocolate and then smiled widely at her, showing my brown teeth proudly. 

A slow smile stretched across her lips, my body woke up at the sight. 

"You're such a pig!" She exclaimed.

I continued eating, ignoring her insult and putting my attention to Mr Hibbert. In a sudden movement Olivia reached out and grabbed the sports bar from my hand leaving my empty mouth ajar. 

"Hey!" I shouted as I watched her examine the bar with great attention. What the fu-?

"These... what are these?" She asked like she had never seen a sports bar before.

"They're sports bars." I cleared up but she didn't look like she had gained any clarity so I expanded my answer "coach makes us eat them, especially on game day. They are packed with protein and energy.... harmless but they are the closest thing to steroids." 

She traced her fingers over the japanese writing across the yellow and blue wrapper, thinking really hard about something because her brow furrowed in confusion like she was trying to recall a memory. After a few intense moments she handed me the bar back and I continued eating. I wanted to ask her about it but I knew not to ask questions, I hated questions. 

The last bell rung out and I folded my drawing, slipping it into my pocket and tapping it lightly, shooting a cheeky look at Olivia. She huffed in defeat knowing that I won this round and we walked out together. 

"You coming tonight?" Somewhere deep inside of me hope built up as I anticipated her answer.

"Uh.. I'm not sure. My parents work away a lot and today they're home so I might spend time with them." She said casually.

"Oh." I tried to push away the disappointment I felt about her not coming to my game. I really wanted her to see me during the only time I get to shine, doing the one thing I'm truly good at. Seeing me when my darkness was non existent.  

"No motorbike today?" she pointed at the vacant space my bike usually sat in. 

"Nah. I don't bring my bike on game days. I only bring it when I do hours in the arcade so I can travel to and from without missing practice." Really it's because I can't afford to keep topping it up with gas when I got bills to pay and food to buy. But I'm not going to tell her that.  "I live close by you, you know?" 

Why did I just say that? I don't want her to remember me. I mightn't of hid my darkness as well when I was a child, she might remember something that she can never know about me. I chewed the inside of my cheek, mentally face palming myself.

"Oh really?" she replied and I instantly felt my shoulders relax. She didn't remember. Good.

"There's probably about fifteen houses between yours and mine."  

God what is wrong with me? She's going to think I've counted them now, even though I have.

We walked home together, taking the scenic route which definitely wasn't a short cut but I had no complaints about spending extra time with Olivia. The blistering sun cooked me from the outside-in but I didn't care because I was with her.

"Are your folks going to the game?" She asked, turning the comfortable silence between us into tension.

"They... they don't go to my games." I didn't look at her and my tone was deep, warning not to trespass any further into my privacy.

"Why?" She asked timidly. She knew I was uncomfortable talking about this but she asked me anyway. That irritated me, I thought we were under the mutual understanding of not asking questions. 

"That's none of your fucking business, is it?" My blue eyes stared at her dangerously, so cold they could freeze hell over and my tone was sharp as I pushed through my anger, mentally telling myself to calm down even though she's prying into my business when she can clearly see that topic is off limits. 

"I'm sorry Liam, it was just a question. I was in Principal Jenkins office this morning doing jobs for him with Tia and your file was on his desk so I picked it up to re-"

"You read my file?" I interrupted. 

How could she betray me like this? She read my file. Why is she asking about my parents when she knows they've never attended any school meeting even after they've been summoned, they hang up whenever they're called, they donate no money or help with school events. She knows what I've got in trouble for, all the fights I've caused, my grades, information on my guidance counselor meetings, how damaged I am. 

She knows too much, she knows enough to put the broken pieces of my life together and come up with some pretty accurate answers. She knows enough to not want anything to do with me ever again. She invaded my privacy without my consent and left me suffering because of it. My heart hurt from the betrayal, the darkness was creeping in and the grasp of suffocation was stronger than ever before. Because Olivia was the reason my darkness was here.

"No... I didn't. I won't deny that I was going to, I really wanted to but I didn't even open the book because I didn't want to betray your privacy. I figured if you wanted me to know those things you would just tell me yourself."

I searched her face for  a moment, locking onto  her pure eyes and doubting her honesty but something sparkled against the green and it told me that she was being truthful. My guard was raised high and I wasn't capable of knocking it down after that blow. So I fished the drawing out of my pocket and handed it to her.

I hoped the drawing of Mr Hibbert wearing nothing but a leather thong would lighten this mood even more but I honestly didn't want to stick around to see her open it. So after I handed her the picture I told her I would see her later and stalked off towards my own house.