2 - The Doubts Of A Queen

Zacznij od początku

"We were in a storybook, then in another. Life was crazy but this is what comes after The End. This is what we've gone through everything for," Tedros explains. I know he's right, the reason we fought so many battles was for this. So why do I feel like something is missing?

"Don't you miss it though? I know we were putting our lives at risk all the time but we actually had adventures. I actually felt useful."

"You are useful Agatha," Tedros slips his arm behind my back, pulling me into a hug that I nuzzle into. "This is just what happens after a fairy tale. Everything feels a bit lacklustre but that's just what happens. Is that really all you're worried about?"

I look up into his eyes, so full of love and understanding. I could have lost this so easily over the last few years but here we are, safe. I could not tell him, it's probably nothing and I'm thinking too much into it. I trust him though, even if he does things before he thinks. "Recently, the Storian has been playing on my mind a lot."

"The Storian?" Tedros looks at me confused. Whatever he thought I was stressed about was definitely not that.

"I've been asking Professor Anemone to keep an eye on it just to make sure it's absolutely safe. The thing is it's still not started a new story yet."

"I thought the Storian only told the stories it knew would be good. Maybe it just hasn't found the right story to tell yet. Is the fact that the Storian isn't telling a story stressing you out? It'll start writing again soon, it just needs some time, that's all." I know he's right and yet that little part of me is still saying that's not it.

"I just can't help but think it's because it knows something is wrong. What if someone is trying to steal it? Maybe someone is going to try and manipulate the stories?" Every villain we've faced wanted to be able to manipulate the stories and I can't help but think it's because it knows that something bad is going to happen. I can't explain why I think this, it's just there in my head.

"It's okay Agatha. Really, it's only natural that you're going to be on high alert after everything we've been through. The Storian is going to be okay though." Tedros puts his free hand up to me. "See, I've still got the ring on my finger and as long as I do, the Storian is safe. Plus it's still safe at the school, nothing bad can happen to it."

"What if there's another way? Someone could easily just steal your ring or find another way. How do I know for sure that nothing bad is going to happen until it starts it's next story." I know I'm overreacting, I do. I just can't seem to get those thoughts out of my head. Alongside my doubts about being Queen, they're driving me to my limit.

"What if I got someone to look after the Storian?"

"What?" I ask, taken aback with surprise.

"Well if it would help ease your mind, I could ask someone to just look after the Storian. You know, they could keep it under close observation and they could let me know when the Storian starts writing its next story." Tedros suggests. Honestly, it would help more than he'd know. If he did that it would take a lot of weight off my mind.

"Who would you pick though to look out for it? I don't mean to remind you but you're not always the best at picking trustworthy people." All the people that Tedros ends up trusting do either end up dead or betraying him. He trusted Filip who was secretly Sophie, he trusted Rhian who betrayed all of us. I don't mean to doubt his ability to pick trustworthy people but he doesn't have the best streak at doing that.

"Don't worry I have someone in mind who is perfect for the task. They've proved many a time that they'll protect the balance of the woods and the Storian. I can send them a message later to ask but I hardly think they'll say no."

"Am I allowed to know the identity of the person who you're trusting this plan too?" I ask.

"I'm afraid you can't. It's not that I don't trust you but if you know who it is you'll pester them with letters asking them what's happening. This way you know that the pen is safe and if anything does happen, I'll tell you straight away." He's right, even if I don't want to admit it. If Tedros does tell me who it is, I will send lots of messages to them and that won't help anyone.

"Thank you," I say, turning towards him and giving him a kiss. It's only a quick one though, I've only just eaten and I'm not sure if the taste of spaghetti and cheese is that romantic.

"What's the point of having a King as a husband if I can't do stuff like this?" It's still weird to think as Tedros as my husband. Sure I remember our wedding and everything but I still feel too young to have a husband. I guess that's what happens in the woods, everything happens that much faster in a fairy tale. "As much as I'd love to stay here with you, I'm afraid I can't."

Tedros moves his arm from behind my back and moves, standing to the side of the bed. "What business do you need to take care of then that's more important than me? Are you going off to save a neighbouring kingdom?" I ask jokingly but knowing Tedros, it could very well be that.

"Actually I said that I'd help Hort with some wedding planning as his best man and everything." It's weird that Hort and Tedros are kind of close know when I think back to when Hort used to loathe him. I guess now that Sophie has chosen Hort, there's not the same reason to hate Tedros that there was before.

"Well that is a very important reason to leave me then. I hope you enjoy it." Tedros gives me a look telling me that he in fact will not enjoy it. Poor Tedros, wedding planning is not his favourite thing.

"You could come with me, if you want," he offers.

I shake my head. "Hort would have asked me if he wanted me and anyway, I'll probably head to the library and try and find some details of past Camelot weddings that Sophie has been nagging me to find for ages." It always feels like Tedros and I are just two ships passing each other. We may now be married but both of us are so busy being King and Queen that we hardly see each other anymore. A part of me wants to go with him but I shouldn't get in the way of Tedros and Hort's bonding time with each other. "I love you," I say before Tedros leaves the room.

Tedros turns to smile at me, "I love you too."