Chapter 1: Another Busy Day

Today was a another busy day in the office, again. I had to keep attending interviews for my boss and and then he kept giving me orders, which for most of them, I had to take a letter up to the top floor to the man that owns the business.

Once all of that was done, I sat down in my big, brand new, leather chair, buuut then I started getting heaps of calls in.

Today.was.terrible, but I've had better days.

~

Finally, my lunch break came around.

Eating at my desk in silence, my phone started to ring, making me put down my delicious chicken and salad roll.

"Hello?"

I probably should of looked at the caller ID.

"Layne Harriet." Smiling straight away, I leaned back in my chair, knowing straight away who it was. "Jason Williams."

He let out a small laugh. "Sorry for calling you now babe. Is now the wrong time?"

"Oh god no. I'm on my lunch break." That was one of the things I loved about my boyfriend, he always called at the perfect time.

"So how has your day been, my sweet sugar?" I picked at a bit of loose string at the bottom of my tight work skirt, giggling away at what he called me. "It's been very busy, I mean VERY busy. What about your day baby?"

I herd him sigh. "Tough like usual. There was a fire in one of the buildings not far from yours. We put it out nice and quick though."

Standing up, I made my way over to the ceiling to floor window and looked down at all the busy traffic. "Yeah I herd about that not just long ago."

In the background, I suddenly herd a siren and then people talking. One man called out "C'mon Jason! Thats us!"

"Alright baby, I won't be coming over tonight because i've got some stuff to do. I better go now, we got another fire. Love you."

Aaaaand here comes the tears.

I always worried about him when he was working, I just couldn't help it. "Alright you be safe. Love you too."

Once I made my way to my desk and put my phone down, I looked up at the clock and saw that I had 5 minutes left of my lunch break. Sinking into my chair, I rubbed my face.

I guess it's just me tonight, again.

~

Unlocking the door, the automatic lights in the house came on, obviously sensing my movement already. Dropping my bag on the polished wooden floor boards, I reached up and pulled my hair out of it's neat bun.

I need a drink.

I walked into the large kitchen and got myself a glass of champaign. Once I got that, I made my way into the lounge room and dropped onto the large leather sofa.

I loved my house dearly. It was big and luxurious, just the way I liked things but sometimes, having such a big house to myself made me feel a bit...I don't know...selfish I guess. Having parents that had a lot of money as I grew up made things a bit harder.

People gave me a hard time in school, calling me a selfish brat and other names, saying that no matter what, my parents money will always protect me, people saying that I look down on them and think that they are pathetic. Honestly, If I could, I would have loved to share my parents money around with them. But thats why I had not many friends.

All the others girls used to just roll their eyes at me, saying that they will probably waste my time or that they aren't good enough for me. "Why don't you get home schooled? Your parents obviously have the money. Why would a selfish rich bitch like you go to a school like this when all your gonna do is spit on us."

I still remember those words.

Boy those were the days, NOT.

As I felt tears coming up, I poured more champaign into my glass and kept drinking.

~

It had been a while and the lights had turned themselves off, not sensing my small movements on the sofa. I had cried a bit, thinking about the days when I was younger, but then I stopped, realising that I had a very good life.

I had a perfect job, a perfect house, a perfect city, there was no dramas, I was always happy and last of all, I had the worlds best boyfriend, that of course was a fire fighter.

I drained the last bit in my glass and placed it on the coffee table.

Because it was so quiet, suddenly I herd the rain. It started off slow but then in seconds it got heavy. The wind was that wild that the window started to rattle. I felt my heart starting to race as I stared out into the darkness.

The wind usually isn't that strong.

I watched as long bright strips of lighting danced together in the sky, lighting up the room. This was weird, suddenly getting a big storm.

Making me jump and shout, there was a very loud knock on the door. I slowly stood up, making the lights turn on. Quietly walking to the door, I yelled out, "who is it!?" but there was no answer.

I slowly unlocked the door and opened it, getting ready to slam the door closed if the person tried to do something.

The cold wind blew in, lifting up my hair.

Suddenly a very tall lean man fell forwards and clung to me, holding my arms in a death grip. He was wet and weirdly, he was wearing a lot of metal and leather. Looking up at me, he gave me a desperate look.

I couldn't see his face very well but I new that he had a lot of cuts.

What the hell?

"Please help me." After he said that, he passed out.