11

much to my chagrin, Thanksgiving is fast approaching. the threat of gathering with my family for an evening of turkey (which I don't like) and uncomfortable silence is frankly unappealing. I have yet to hear from either of my parents about plans, but Josh has been texting me about it.

I sit on my couch with Pascal as we flip through a magazine for recipe ideas. because I don't usually like the traditional foods served, I decide to pick out something to bring that everyone will like. sweet potato something? no. I make legendary garlic mashed potatoes, though. I'll do that. 

I'm waiting for Kirsten to come over. she has perhaps become my closest friend, aside from Matthew. I think it's because she doesn't have a family yet, so her schedule is more open. she is also a total vivacious energy all her own, which I appreciate. she reminds me of Eryn, except a little softer around the proverbial edges. 

when she arrives, I keep my magazine laying out and pour us two glasses of sparkling water. we sit on the couch. 

"so, how are you doing?" she asks me sweetly. Matthew and AJ are the only people who know about the divorce, for which I am grateful right now. at least I can go without thinking about it for a while. 

"I'm doing okay." I shrug. she frowns. 

"um, no you're not. you haven't once complimented my new dress." she gestures down to the new garment. it's red and long-sleeved. 

"you're right. you look great, Kirsten." I laugh. she scoops Pascal up off the floor and lifts his face close to hers. 

"you poor thing," she says to him. "maybe I should take you home with me." 

"very funny." I lean back and put my feet up on the couch. 

"I need to tell you what happened to me last night." her smirk makes me lean forward.

"new man?" 

"yes. and he is excellent." she looks as though she's accessing a specific memory.

"elaborate, please!" 

"he's six foot two and totally ripped, first and foremost." she informs me. I wiggle my eyebrows and shift to sit criss-cross with my glass. 

"how did you meet him?" I pry. 

"I was at this club the other night with a few girlfriends and-- oh my gosh, it's the cutest story-- he came over and did a magic trick to get my number." 

"sounds like something Matthew would do." I giggle.

"yeah, I guess. except this guy was so hot and told me he was drawn to my aura." she gestures around herself to indicate an energy presence. I give her a slightly doubtful look, but laugh. 

"he sounds like just the guy for you." 

"he really is. we've been out four times, and the sex... Chlo, the sex is mind-blowing!" 

"really?"

"yes. he's such a romantic, too. the other day he woke me up with pancakes and I was ready to marry him." 

"that's amazing, Kirsten! I'm really glad you found a guy like that." I grin. we clink glasses in celebration and she tells me about her new beau before asking me about my love life. 

"still barren, unfortunately." I sigh. 

"we seriously need to get you laid." she points out. I almost laugh because this is about the second conversation I've had in the past month about this subject, and yet nothing has changed. 

"people keep saying that." I tell her. 

"yeah, because you look like you're wound up tighter than ever. seriously, is there something bothering you?" her tone becomes more serious, but I shake my head.