Chapter 1: Waking Up

The Sun beams down from the window in my cramped bedroom beams down on my face, my alarm clock blaring in my ear. The days starting like any other day. Great.

I sigh and get up, like always. I change into my uniform. Like I always do. Eat breakfast. Feed the cat. Drive to work. It's all the same.

I work at an old antique store. I've only been there a week, but from what I can tell it's just a random store no one goes to that's somehow managing to stay open, which is surprising regarding that it's located in a huge strip mall.

It's not what I'd prefer to be doing as a job, but life takes us to unexpected places. Originally I wanted to be a doctor. My parents were really supportive. They had a fund saved up for college, made a catalog of possible universities...they pretty much did everything they could to help me. But we got into a fight after a graduated high school, and we haven't talked sense. I don't really like thinking about it.

Finally, I pull up to the store. Michelle's is spelled out on a faded neon sign in front. Several dusty items are on display in a window, including an old-timey Trolls doll set. I wonder what's it's like in Troll'sLand. Not a care in the world. Just living and a town of plastic. Part of me wants to go there. I stop fantasizing and unlock the door, walking inside. The room is completely empty, which is normal. The owner doesn't get here until 4:00. Not sure why she would leave me alone in a building full of random items, perfectly capable of stealing something, but oh well. She explained it to me once, but it was just a bunch of gibberish. Something about a good essence or something? I'm not sure.

I take my seat on the counter and lay my head down on the table. Not exactly quality service from a cashier, but I'm tired and it's not like anyone's gonna-I hear the door open.