Philemon 1:8-25

Paul takes some time to introduce the theme of his letter, his request for Onesimus. His name meant useful. But as we read in the Introduction to Philemon, he had ran away from his master and had become useless.

There are few words/phrases that we can specifically look out here: 'order you', 'I appeal to you', 'basis of love', 'an old man and now a prisoner'. These words truly reflect the character of Paul. A man so much used by God, someone who can be called as a super apostle, that same man is requesting, making a humble plea not for something of his own but for a run away slave.

Paul's humility can be seen in how he was available for Onesimus. Paul being the great Paul did not cut himself from the common man. He did not make himself exclusive to some elite. It may be that after running away from Philemon, Onesimus would have heard the message being preached by Paul and God would have bought a great conviction in his heart. He would have shared the same with Paul. Paul took it on himself to make a plea. Paul could have asked Timothy or Mark or Epaphras to write and Paul could have just signed the letter. But no, Paul was fully available. Paul truly cared for other and that is reflected in what he writes about Onesimus.

There are many things that can be done which is not wrong or many things which is rightly ours but one aspect that should cover all our rights and freedom should be love. Paul does not use any other means to appeal to Philemon rather than on the basis of Love.

Many a times we do things for the sake of doing that. Paul wanted Philemon to do what he is supposed to do not because he is asked to do but rather Philemon himself decides to do.

We all were an Onesimus at one point of time, useless to our master. People who deserved death and never deserved forgiveness but our master freely forgave us not due to anything that we have done but because of the death of His Son, Jesus Christ.

We are called at times to be 'Philemon.' It would have cost us a lot, the hurt and disappointment may be huge but let's be people who are more than willing to forgive our fellow brethren because we are forgiven.

Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do, yet I prefer to appeal to you on the basis of love. It is as none other than Paul—an old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus— that I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains. Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.