4

As the Baudelaires said thier goodbyes to Justice Strauss, they started following isabelle across the street.

She took a deep breath as she opened the door of her house.

They heard voices and walked into the living room.

Olaf noticed them and glared.

Isa: it's been an hour.

Olaf: so are you going to give us dinner or just stand there?

He rolled his eyes and went back to talking with his acting troupe.

Isabelle shook her head and went into the kitchen.

Violet: I can serve it.

Isa: okay, thank you. I'll get drinks ready.

Isabelle took 10 cups out of the cabinet.

Isa: are we eating?

Klaus: what?

Isa: nevermind, silly question.

Isabelle filled the cups with milk.

Isa: I got milk yesterday because I knew they would be coming over tonight. I just didn't know you three would be here now.

Violet: is that a bad thing?

Violet put the pasta on plates as she spoke.

Isa: no, I'm happy you three are here. It feels less alone.

Klaus took silverware out of a drawer. Sunny watched all three of them from the top of the table where she was sitting.

They set the table and violet put the plates next to where klaus put the silverware. Isabelle went into the living room to tell them its ready.

They all walked in.

Olaf: you four actually wont be eating, not right now. You can eat later, once we leave. We have important things to discuss.

Isa: ... yes sir.

He grabbed her wrist.

Olaf: I am your father. You call me father.

He let go and she looked at her wrist and started up the stairs as the Baudelaires followed.

Violet: he scares me.

Isa: me too..

Violet: I was going to ask if I could actually stay in your room with you.

Isa: oh.. okay, sure!

Violet: klaus, are you going to be okay in there by yourself?

Klaus: I'll have sunny.

Isabelle: If you need anything please ask me.

Klaus smiled before closing the door of the guest room, his and sunny's new room.

Violet followed isabelle into her room. She placed the flowers she had on her desk and put her notebook on the desk aswell, and a small pencil.

Violet sat down on her bed.

Violet: what do you write in that book?

Isa: things I learn. I'll explain it all later.

She came and sat down next to violet.

Violet: how long until we can eat?

Isa: I'm not sure. I just don't understand why I cant be involved. He usually let's me in on those conversations.

Violet: what do they talk about?

Isa: what show they are doing, it isnt very top secret.

They heard footsteps come up the stairs and her door opened. Olaf walked in. He looked at them, then all of the room.

Olaf: you took them to our niebour lady?

Isa: yeah, she let me pick more flowers.

Olaf: what did you talk about?

Isa: I told her about your play you're doing.

Olaf enthusiastically clapped his hands.

Olaf: good! I've been meaning to tell her!

Violet: why?

Olaf narrowed his eyes at her.

He clearly had favorite children.
Omg I couldn't write that without laughing.

Olaf: because I want to give her a part in it, its the perfect part for her, she will love it.

Isa: you never told me what its about.

Olaf: its about a very handsome man with a daughter, who obviously isnt shown, and he marries a very pretty girl and then they go on honeymoon and live happily ever after.

Isa: how come his daughter isnt shown?

Olaf: because she isn't important to the story!

Isa: why not though-

Olaf: shut up! Doesn't matter!

Violet: what does Justice Strauss play?

Olaf: she plays the person who marries the couple. I've been meaning to ask her to bring an official book from the courthouse so it can be as real as possible.

Isa: who plays the couple?

Olaf: I obviously play the handsome man,

He caressed violets face.

Olaf: and you, pretty orphan, plays the countess.

Violet made a disgusted face.

Violet: may I build the sets instead?

Olaf: no, no! You need to be seen!

Little did he know, klaus could hear the whole conversation from his room. He knew what was up.

Do you remember when I told you they were rich? Well, when the Baudelaires parents died, they left behind a large fortune, that violet would inherit when she turned 18.

Olaf: well, girls. We are all done eating. You may go eat with your bratty brother, and I'll be leaving. Clean up after yourselves.

Isa: bye father.

Olaf smirked.

Olaf: goodbye!

He slammed the door and they could hear him go downstairs.

Isa: that wasnt a very loving goodbye.

Violet: he touched my face.

Klaus opened the door.

Klaus: I've already figured it out.

×××

As they all put thier plates on the stove to warm up thier pasta, klaus explained that if Justice Strauss read from a real book in the play, it would be real, and since violet was only 14, her legal guardian could let her get married. And that legal guardian was Count Olaf.

Isa: no offense, but I don't want another mom.

Violet: so if he marries me he will get our fortune.

Klaus: exactly. That's why he is our guardian in the first place, so he can get our money.

Isabelle handed violet her plate.

Isa: I'll try to not let him get your fortune. Trust me.

Violet: thank you, isabelle.

They ate thier food in silence, each lost in thier own thoughts, klaus thinking about what would happen to him after olaf married violet and how he could get them all out of this predicament. Violet thinking about what it would be like going to sleep, and waking up next to that man. Isabelle thinking about having three parents. And sunny not knowing what was going on, biting her fork.

They finished, cleaning up like they were told and going to bed and violet was glad she was going to sleep next to isabelle and worried how many nights left she would have until she would have to sleep in the room across from isabelle's and hope they could get all of them out of this predicament.