"So, this is her," Their father, Azazel, stepped from his throne of darkness, stalking over to me as if I was to be his next meal. I tried not to tremble, drawing strength from Helios' unwavering form by my side. "Your daughter?"

"Carasai, yes," My father shot me a smile, the gold of his eyes melting momentarily. "My only daughter."

"Then the deal is struck," Azazel held his hand out to my father, who nodded and gripped his palm tightly.

"The deal is struck," I took a deep breath. "We shall send her back to you in a few days."

Just like that, my future was sealed and set in stone. I was to be chained to a man, stuck in a loveless marriage with the future High Lord of the Night Court. I would never be free to find, and fall in love, with my mate and the rest of my life would be spent in the dark halls of the Court of Nightmares.

I noticed Rhysand had lingered for a moment, his violet eyes catching mine. I thought I was mistaken, because I could have sworn that regret and apologies swirled around in them, but his sister dragged him away before anything could happen.

"Come, sister," Helion murmured, wrapping an arm around my waist tentatively, and winnowing us from the throne room of the Court of Nightmares. We reappeared in the familiar marble walls of home, which glowed in the midday sun.

Bookshelves ran up and down the walls around us, each one laden with novels, encyclopaedias, world history and atlas. It felt, and smelt like home once more.

"My dear," I sighed into my father's robes, as he ran a hand through my hair. "You did so well. I could not be more proud."

"Thanks, Da," He pressed a brief kiss to my forehead, before storming off to his solar as I was left with Helion. "I can't believe that happened."

"My little sister, off to marry the future High Lord of the Night Court," Helion murmured, taking her crown off of her head. "Who would have thought?"

"It's not funny, Helion,"

"Sorry, sorry," He raised his arms, pulling his hair up into a top knot and sliding a feather through it. "Rhysand's a good man, Carasai. He is kind and honourable. I fought with him during the war."

"I suppose that is good news," Helion hummed in agreement. "I could have done a lot worse. Imagine if Father decided to marry me off to the Autumn Court, or the Spring Court!"

We both dissolved into laughter, snickering at the thought of it all. Helion led me back to my room, both of us wiping tears from our eyes, before I smacked him.

"We shouldn't be laughing," Both of us began to try and control our giggles. "We should pity the poor girl who has to actually marry one of those foul beasts."

That sent both of us off into louder peals of laughter than before. The sound echoed down the corridors, before both of us hurried to the royal chambers before someone could yell at us for disturbing the peace.

"In all seriousness," I stopped laughing at his words. Helion being serious was a rare moment and it normally meant that he was going to part a small piece of wisdom, or guidance to me. "This will all work out, Little One, all of it. It may not seem like it now, but this will be the start of a great adventure, I am sure of it and you know that you can always come home to the Day Court."

"I'm more worried that you'll go crazy without me here to keep you in line," I grinned at him, before wrapping an arm around his waist and taking a deep breath as I clutched onto him. "Is it too late to back out?"

"A little," Helion ran his hand through my dark hair, before pressing our foreheads together as I sighed. "It will work."

"If you say it will, then I'm sure that's the truth," Helion smiled, pressing a kiss to my forehead. 

"You should pack and I will leave you to it."

He let go of me, strolling out of my chambers with an amicable grin on his face as I faltered at the loss of the sturdy form of my brother. As much as Helion's words helped, they did not help enough. 

What did he know of my fears at an arranged marriage? I would never be stronger than Rhysand so if something did happen, how would I protect myself? Who would I be able to turn to in a land that would support me? What happens if Rhysand was not who Helion thought he was?

My brother believed that this would all be a great adventure, a great story to tell in later years, but I was unsure whether he would be speaking about a tragedy or a romance novel?

Hiya,

I was so excited to post the first chapter. Maiya made an appearance, Carasai is the opposite of her, Helion is an amazing older brother and Rhysand is just sweet and worried for her.

Let me know what you think of everything,

Love Li xx