29: Beautiful Nightmare

Start from the beginning

I sighed, thinking about Liz. It had been years since we had last spoken. I felt a pang in my heart every time I thought about her. My poor in laws had to decide each year where they would spend Christmas. They had spent it with us the past few years since we had our little boy, but it seemed that was all about to change now that Liz had her own family.

Jason's parents would update us on how Liz was every now and again. She seemed happy with her life from what we were hearing.

"It's a shame that our little bugaboo won't ever meet his cousin"

Jason sighed, sitting beside me. "You know Liz won't listen. We did try"

"But that was all those years ago. Can't we try again now?"

"She's stubborn. Nothing's going to change"

"We always used to talk about how we would get married together and have our kids play together" I sighed, my eyes starting to water. "I can't let this happen. I won't let this happen. I must make things right with Liz. I can't let this happen. I won't let this happen. I must make things right with Liz. I can't let this happen. I won't- "

I woke with a start, my heart pounding in my chest. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and sighed, thankful that was all just a dream. Would my life really turn out like that if I never spoke to Liz again? I didn't want to think about a life without Liz. I couldn't imagine not spending another Christmas or birthday together. I couldn't imagine not being there on her wedding and her at mine. I didn't want to imagine all those things.

I knew that dream wasn't real, but if I didn't do anything now, it would end up turning into my reality. I had to fix this and fix it now. I shot out of bed, ready to sort this out once and for all.

I knocked ferociously on the door of the Agreste household, determined not to leave without speaking to Liz. Jason was the one who opened the door, smiling as he saw me there. "Oh, hey Rosie. I wasn't expecting to see you here"

"I'm fine thanks, I need to see Liz." I said, pushing past Jason to get into the house. As much as I loved Jason, I just didn't have time for pleasantries right this second. There were urgent matters to attend to.

I spotted Liz in the kitchen and marched over, determined to say everything that was on my mind. It might not have been enough to salvage our friendship, but she had to at least hear me out. I had caught Liz by surprise as she stood in the middle of the kitchen, wide eyed. I was probably the last person she expected to see.

"I want to speak to you" I demanded.

"I don't have anything to say to you"

"Well, I do and I'm not leaving until you hear what I have to say"

"I think you guys should talk" Jason said, leaning against the kitchen door.

"I don't see how anything you'll say to me will make me change my mind" Liz huffed.

"I'll be in the living room waiting until you're ready to talk" I said, making my way out of the kitchen and to the living room where I plopped down on the couch and folded my arms. I would wait all day if I had to. There was no way I was leaving until I spoke to Liz.

Jason came in and sat down beside me, a small smile on his face. "Have you managed to get through to her?" I asked.

Jason shook his head, glancing to the ground. "She still won't speak to me. I don't know what to do"

I felt for him. This was his sister, who he loved dearly. I hated to think I had come between them. "Don't worry. I'll fix this, I promise" I assured him.