II. ACT WISELY

CHARLES' POV

I was teaching the students about the law of conservation of energy, and suddenly I heard loud noises from the hallway. I mentally said to Raven "I am going to figure out what the hell is going on there, until then, look after the children. I'll be back soon."

She nodded in agreement. I told the children that I'm just going out because my help is needed, so you all focus on whatever I told you.

I started heading towards the hallway as the voices grew louder. As I went near, I saw Hank arguing with a tall man who wore a brown leather jacket and navy blue pants. I was only able to see Hank's face because the man with whom he was arguing, was facing me by his backside. But the get up, the height and the voice of the man, it all looked very familiar, to me.

I called out "Hank! Who's there? A new parent?". As they both heard me, they both became silent. And just after a couple of minutes, the man turned around, facing me.

I froze worse than an iceberg when I saw the face of that tall man. My mouth dropped. That man was no one other than Erik. His face was a bit pale and his beautiful blue-green eyes were slightly red around the cornea.

He stuttered "C-Cha-arl-les!" in excitement, astonishment and sorta guilt. I replied "Erik? What are you doing here? I thought--", he cut me off in between and said "Hello, old friend. I'm here to meet you. How are you?".

Those words from his mouth filled me with hate, anger and reminded me all of the shit that happened in fucking Cuba.

I replied "How dare you think that I'm fine after you dodged a bullet in my god damn back and then left me alone there to die slowly. You abandoned me and you took my sister with you too. My lower body stopped working. Do you know how it felt, huh? Obviously you don't. You don't know how it felt because you never went through it. You're heartless, Erik. And fucking heartless people don't feel anything when they make others suffer!". I was blazing in anger.

I didn't feel how loud I was shouting until Raven came running. She too was shocked on seeing Erik. When he saw her, he said "Raven, please tell Charles to listen to me. Please. I beg you".

Raven looked at me with the same innocence as I saw in her eyes when she sneaked into my house for food. I knew what she was trying to do.

"Brother, please listen to him for once." She said.

"NO. Why are you taking his side?" I replied.

"I'm not taking his side. I'm telling you to act wisely. You once told me that you believe in second chances. Please."

My heart seized when I remembered how once a girl in school tried to put blame on Raven that she broke the classroom window when she was 14. But she wasn't successful in doing so because the class teacher caught that girl breaking it. And then she scolded her. And Raven threatened her that she'll tell her parent's what she did. Then I told her that I believe in second chances and asked her to forgive her. And she obeyed me.

I said to Erik "Okay. I'll listen to you asshole. But not now. I'm attending a very important class today. Wait till 2:30. I'll get free by then.

He let out a sigh of relief and said "Ok, Mr. Xavier. I'll wait" with a short smile.

I said nothing, turned back and went back to the classroom.

__________________________________________________

"So, that's was all for today . Prepare whatever is given to you. We'll continue it on Monday because tomorrow is 2nd Saturday, so tomorrow is your day off." I said and all the children left the room joyfully.

I checked my watch and the time was 2:28. And I remembered I had to meet someone. As I stepped out, I saw that Erik was waiting for me.

As I looked at his face, I saw regret in his gorgeous blue-green eyes. But I said to myself "No, no no Charles. He's just trying puppy eyes on you. Don't melt. Act wisely!", and I broke the eye contact.

He said "It's been 5 years and I haven't played Chess. Will you. Please?". I wanted to say no but a 'yes' slipped out from my mouth. Argh. I said "Yes. Ok. But only one match"

I can see the same gleam in his eyes as you see in a child's on his birthday when I said yes. "Stay calm, act wisely, listen carefully and then throw him out from the mansion", I reminded myself again