Chapter 1 - Infected

Comenzar desde el principio

“That’s great, Doc.” I said blandly.

The guy had taken over my case since my previous Doctor was lost to the Hep Z too.  The Doctor was an overweight, balding man in his late fifties with a white lab jacket which looked a size to small and had a bad case of halitosis.  His bedside manner was somewhat lacking, he had a bad attitude, a condescending tone and was a complete pervert.  Did he really think I couldn’t see him leering at my chest?

“Any questions for me today?”

“No, thanks.  I’m good.”

“So how’s Maya?” he said, smiling that broad fake smile of his.

“She’s good.  She’s heading into her senior year of high school after the summer.”

“How the time flies.” He chuckled.

“Yes.  Well, if that’s all…”

“Be sure to call in if there’s any changes in your, or Maya’s, health and welfare.”

“Of course.”

“And don’t forget to go to your weekly council sessions.  They may be a hindrance to yourself but they’re not just for you after all but your family too.”

“Haven’t missed one so far, Doc.”

“Good.  Thanks for coming in.” he said, offering his hand.

I took it in mine, swollen and sweaty as it was, I shook it firmly, smiled politely broke from him and walked out of his office to sit in the waiting area whilst Maya completed her check-up.

The room was mostly full of Purebloods and their Infected siblings with the occasional parent or guardian amongst them.  I was friends with a few of them but not a lot.  We had to socialise at least once a week for the council sessions which took place in the basement of the hospital – the safest place from the Roamers, even though the hospital was guarded and had a high wall topped with barbed fencing running around the perimeter of it.

Nina Hayes was the closest to the spot of being my best friend out of the group.  We had a lot in common and she wasn’t overly chatty which I liked most about her.  We could sit there and have a whole conversation with nothing more than a nod of the head, a roll of the eye or a heavy sigh.  She had long glossy brown hair, olive skin, a long prominent nose and dark green eyes.

Her sister Alice sat opposite her, flipping the pages of a magazine with a bandage around her wrist.  She was shorter than Nina who was almost as tall as myself whilst Alice had raven dark hair, pale skin and bright blue eyes.  The two couldn’t be more different from each other.