Never Leaving You

Start from the beginning

"Sam!!!" yelled Colby. "Are you there?!!!"

"Colby?!" yelled Sam. "I can't..." His voice then trailed off.

"I'm coming in okay!!!" shouted Colby from the other side of the door. He grabbed the knob but tore his hand away immediately as he felt how hot it was, his hand now in searing pain. Shaking his hand, he felt the door, and it was hot, he could feel the burning flames on the other side.

"Colby!!" coughed Sam from the other side. "You need to get out!!"

"No, no, not without you," replied Colby. "Stand back!!"

Colby stood back as far as he could and ran his body into Sam's bedroom door. Every inch of his body was throbbing, but he kept going, knowing his injured best friend was trapped on the other side, but the door wouldn't budge.

"C'mon, c'mon!!!" yelled Colby. He kept going and going, but it just wouldn't give.

"Colby go," coughed Sam. "Just go, please. I need to know you made it out alive."

"I won't leave you Sam, I can't," cried Colby. Colby leant his forehead against his best friend's door, not caring about how hot it was.

"Colby," said Sam softly. "Please."

"I love you Sam," cried Colby.

"Love you too," he replied.

Colby rushed to the stairway and hurriedly made his way down the stairs, his face being lit up by the blaze of the flames as he saw their burning furniture on the level below, the fire was spreading quickly. He could hear the sirens outside, and watched as an axe came through the door below. A firefighter stepped through the broken door and into the big flames below. He shielded his eyes looking around, seeing the boy.

"Up here!!" shouted Colby. The firefighter quickly rushed to Colby and helped him out of the house.

"My friend, he's trapped," coughed Colby.

"Where?" asked the firefighter. "Which room?"

"Over that way, second window on the left" coughed Colby. "His back is broken, he needs help."

"We'll get him!" replied the firefighter.

The firefighter helping Colby signaled his men and they rushed to grab their ladder. Colby breathed in as the fresh air filled his lungs and turned to their house and watched as the flames got bigger and bigger. Jake and Corey came running up to him. They were covered in ashes and their hair was singed.

Colby saw the firefighter climbing up to Sam's window as the fire spread quickly. The fire fighter saw the boy, on the floor struggling to stay awake. The firefighter went in after him.

Those few moments that passed as the house went up in flames, felt like the longest few moments of Colby's life, but he finally saw the firefighter emerging with his best friend.

Colby let out the tears he had been holding the whole time. Jake and Corey came up behind him and he brought them both into a hug. They held each other tightly, this time, tighter than they usually did.

Colby sat in the back of the ambulance, while Sam was layed down, they both had oxygen masks over their faces. Jake and Corey stood by and all four of them watched as the firefighters were able to put out the rest of the fire of what was once their new house.

They arrived back from the hospital for a second time tonight. Colby opened the door to his and Sam's hotel room. Jake and Corey were in the hotel room next to them. This time, Colby was thankful he and Sam were in the same room. He turned to see Sam sitting on the other bed, crying. Colby went and sat down next to him, bringing the boys head to his chest, holding him. Tears started to stream down Colby's face as he held his best friend in his arms.

"I tried to get out," said Sam crying, "but the door...my back. I'm sorry."

"Don't you dare apologize," said Colby.

"I almost died." Sam cried softly.

Tears poured from Colby's eyes. "I'm so sorry," he cried.

"Don't blame yourself Colby," said Sam. "No one saw this coming."

"I almost lost you," replied Colby.

" But you didn't," said Sam. "We're alive. That's the most important thing."

Colby helped Sam get under the covers of the bed and then slid in beside him. "Don't you wanna sleep in your own bed?" asked Sam.

"No," replied Colby as Sam snuggled close to him. Sam gently laid his head against Colby's chest and Colby draped his arm over Sam's sleeping form. He ruffled his hand through Sam's hair.

"I promise; I'll never leave you again," he whispered.