Chapter - 6: Temporary Substitute

Depuis le début

Now, there was this foreign man that Reisen was not familiar with. So far, he seems rather friendly around Eirin and Kaguya but with her, she's yet to know. There are two-faced people out there, not to call him that but she's just taking precautions and--

"Ahem." He cleared his throat, catching the moon rabbit's attention.

"O-oh, sorry. I didn't mean to, you know." 

"It's fine." He said. "I know my way around and where the clinic is, you don't have to guide me."

"But, I should. It'd be rude of me to walk away and well, I have to be in the clinic too since I'll be your assistant for today, (Y/n)." She explained, trying to be polite.

"I know." He stepped onto the wooden corridor, now on level with the youkai rabbit. "Let's go."

"Right." 

Quietly, she followed him even though it probably should've been the other way around. Only the pitter-patter of their footsteps and nature's ambiance can be heard for a short while. 

"Say, Reisen." He suddenly spoke, the lunar bunny averted her eyes forward.

"Hmm? Yes?"

"Are you not perturbed that some random man took the position you're working for and whom you have to be the assistant of?" He asked, still looking forward while walking. "I can understand if you are. It would feel unfair."

"Well, maybe a little. But I still feel relieved that it's not going to just be me alone managing the clinic. I just, don't think I'm ready yet." She admitted. "And Master Eirin seems to have faith in you, so by proxy, I should as well." 

"Speaking of that," He looks over his shoulder. "did Eirin told you to call her 'Master' or was it by your own volition?" 

"Oh, that? It's a little bit of both. It was either that or 'Teacher'." She shrugged. She was just more used to 'Master' because of her previous experience with the Watatsuki Sisters. "Why did you ask?"

"Nothing, she never told me to call HER 'Master' when I was her pupil so I was just curious." 

 "Wait, what?" Reisen stopped in her tracks, blinking twice. He turned around.

"Did she not tell you? I was her pupil once." 

"N-no... She didn't." 

"Hmmm... Well, now you know." He mumbled before looking forward, walking while Reisen was still a bit gobsmacked by the sudden information. "I know you have questions. Fire away." 

She quickly shook her head and followed him.

"S-so, does that mean you studied alongside Lady Yorihime and Lady Toyohime as well?" She asked immediately. It was strange, she would've at least heard of him from her former masters if he did study alongside them.

"Well, yes. We did, sort of." He answered. "But, we're not on the greatest terms. Likely why my name has never been mentioned to you." 

"Oh... why is that-- I mean, if you're alright with telling. I don't want to force you or anything." She raised her hands bashfully, nervously chuckling.

He even chuckled himself as well. "Let's just say that I was very, VERY different from who I am today. I was extremely... selfish. And that selfishness led me to my exile from Lunar Capital." 

"But... didn't you--"

"Went back to the moon? I did." He cuts her off though Reisen didn't particularly mind. 

 "Did some emissaries came to fetch you?" 

"No, unlike Kaguya I was not royalty so they didn't bother with me. I was half-convinced that they forgot about me after these centuries." He chuckled a little before a resounding silence looms over them. The pitter-patter of their footsteps against the wooden floorboards.