♕ Location, Location, Location! ♕

The Isle Of Ashenbourne is a fairly vast one, with lush forests, gardens, and natural features that would draw tourists--if there were more convenient terms to get there

The Isle Of Ashenbourne is a fairly vast one, with lush forests, gardens, and natural features that would draw tourists--if there were more convenient terms to get there. Like every island, there is a beach, and some find business in fishing in the waters within the limits of Ashenbourne. One side of the beach features an old-school shanty town and boats that look like they've seen better days, no doubt belonging to those who earn a living by hijacking boats and airplanes that are unfortunate enough to land within the Ashenbourne limits and taking a cut by "helping" those who arrive on purpose, often with a lot of contraband cargo. 

While some residents dwell by the beach and others have set up homes and even farms within the forest, most reside within the city itself, set up like an old-fashioned town square that's pedestrian-friendly. Ashenbourne has all four seasons and there are no vehicles, but you'll see small methods of transportation such as Vespas, motorcycles, and skateboards.

Like most small cities, most of what people need on a daily basis is in the centre, though West Ashenbourne is separated by a bridge and known to be a section of town where you wouldn't go walking by yourself after dark. North Ashenbourne is full of suburban life and home to many families and wealthy residents--once one person builds a McMansion, it doesn't take long before everyone else wants one. It is also home to high-end businesses that require a bit of privacy. East Ashenbourne is home to older buildings, an open-air-market, and everything for those who never wished to relinquish a simpler and easier way of life. Despite what you'd think, some of these dwellings are quire ornate. When you've been around since medieval days, you accumulate a lot of stuff. South Ashenbourne, of course, leads to the water and all who'd prefer life there. The main feature is the rather luxurious estate belonging to the town's Mayor. and smaller neighbouring estates built by other prominent residents who value privacy and secrecy. 

Some places of note: 

The Bistro: This is the heart and soul of social life in Ashenbourne. Built before Starbucks was on every corner of the world, The Bistro was built for patrons to enjoy hot beverages, sandwiches, pastries, and delicacies such as coffee. There is a stage with a piano and a microphone, as Open Mic Night and intimate concerts always get a huge turnout. Much of the Bistro's success is due to the unrelenting charm of the owner, who fancies himself everyone's friend and quite the ladies' man, though his lines are hopelessly outdated. A sweet, shy young lady works as the cashier and waitress, and always greets everyone with a smile. This is a prime place for a meeting, a date, or people watching. 

Ye Olde Tavern: Once upon a time, this just said Tavern. The owner, not wanting to get a new sign, carved the "Ye Olde" and embraced the rather run-down vibe of the place as a marketing gimmick. Those who want a more down-to-earth atmosphere than The Bistro with cheap drinks and simple food should choose this place. Motorcycle parking is around the back. The owner of this establishment is known for the jukebox and for homemade brews. 

The Crimson Camellia:
Named after the flower, and not a person named Camellia, this is a rather opulent nightclub that hosts a wide variety of events and theme nights. Two guards stand outside and check for weapons, unless you're well-known enough to get past them. The entire place is decorated in shades of gold,red, and black and it seems you'll always meet anyone worth meeting here. Rumour has it there are private rooms for those who wish to have more personal experiences, and that anything you might want for a good time is available here. Even though there's no royalty on Ashenbourne, new arrivals often stop by to ask for the Countess, a fashionable if rather eccentric woman who owns the establishment. The bartender is the unofficial tourism department, and will help you with anything you need, for a price. 

The Ashenbourne Library: The library is a well-stocked and impressive place that has collected books, music, and even videos over the centuries. It is the sort of place that a person can get lost in for days, and contains the history of Ashenbourne. It is lovingly tended to by the Maester, the person who knows everything there is to know about the town---and is your gateway to the magical and supernatural elements of the Isle. Want to know about that weird thing that happened when you went through the portal? Need to get back home for something you forgot? The Maester is the one to ask. It's rumoured that the Maester has disciples, many of whom worship magics and the occult, and they occupy a large residence near the Mayor's home. 

Six Feet Under Memorial Gardens: Every town needs a cemetery, and Ashenbourne's is extremely well-appointed and made to look not-so-creepy to any passers-by, since it's located in a quiet and tasteful suburban area. A large mausoleum and funeral home stands on consecrated ground, and there's a disclaimer citing the owner is not responsible if certain beings burst into flames upon entering. The attraction of this location, besides being a creepy place for teenagers to drink beer and hook up, is the strange being who owns it. She is an exquisitely beautiful young woman, and blind to the everyday world--but sees things others do not. Rumour has it those who have curiosity about the dark arts should see her. 

The Sweet Shack: No, it's not a place to rent VHS adult entertainment, but a 1950's themed place sporting milkshakes, candy, and makes you feel like Willy Wonka unleashed a tornado on the place. Even if it's not your thing, the cake is delicious and the owner and operator is known to be the friendliest person in Ashenbourne. 

A Stitch In Time: An upscale clothing boutique for men and women, this place offers tailoring services as well as a huge collection of garments to rent or buy from almost every era in time. Since no one ever really leaves Ashenbourne, neither do anyone's possessions, and so many exquisite things are to be found here. There's a small jewelry section if you really want to impress someone! 

The Hammer And Anvil: Whether you need something built or fixed, this is a one-stop fix-it shop with a blacksmith, a mechanic, and others who are very capable at fixing and repurposing things that may be hard to find. Whether you're looking for a TV or a blender, since you can't head down to Target, you'll need to journey over the bridge to this huge warehouse and garage. Rumour has it you can find things you shouldn't have, like shiny weapons, here. 

Herbal Essences: Despite being the most run-down place in Ashenbourne, full of gaudy neon and couches not everyone wants to sit on, this place is always packed. It makes the best brownies in town and for some reason, they sell hundreds of grilled cheeses a day. The owner of this place seems very low-key, but guarded. On the other side of Herbal Essences is a store that specializes in adult novelty items, and on the other side is an occult shop, complete with a snarky fortune-teller. The strange thing is the rather clean-cut and out-of-place individuals who show up handing out pamphlets. Everyone says they'll never have any reason to go to this particular block of businesses, but everyone always does. 

The Universal Church Of Ael: Every town has a church, and most residents of Ashenbourne will show up from time to time, especially on holidays. After a few centuries of fighting over religious differences, residents of Ashenbourne began to combine faith in every religion that's ever existed into worship of an omnipotent being called "Ael". The people who run the church are a little strange, to say the least, but they seem to be very good-intentioned. Most things that help the community are sponsored by the church. 

The Oak Spoon: A charming and simple bakery reminiscent of a time when the world was a bit less complicated, this is the place to go for a fresh loaf of bread or a pastry without any of the pretentiousness. The owners of this establishment are known as charitable sorts, giving food to the poor and ensuring nothing ever goes to waste under their watch. The bakery is instrumental in keeping Ashenbourne's farming community alive and prosperous. 

More places of note to come, but if you have suggestions or your character would like to own/work at a certain sort of business, leave them here! <3