Rachel handed me back my pencil, "Here you go. I'll just ask someone from the next class if they have a better pencil."

I gave her an incredulous look and took my pencil from her stubby fingers, "Right."

Was she serious?

~~~~

"Hey hot stuff." Came a sweet southern voice. Lily was perched on a vintage chair inside our local bakery.

The bakery was named 'Cupcake Kisses' placed in the middle of the campus, it was actually the first place Lily and I had met.

It was during my senior year in high school, my mother and I had set aside a weekend that we could spend in going to check out my college I'd be attending. I had got accepted in due to my academics and they liked how much community hours I had, those two things surprisingly got me a full ride.

"Let's take a break," My mother told me as we walked out of another building, "Oh! That bakery looks nice."

My mother and I had been spending the whole day checking out the school buildings and setting up my dorm. My legs had ached and my dress was becoming uncomfortable, taking a break sounded perfect to me.

Walking into the cute little bakery named 'Cupcake Kisses' my mother and I were both greeted by a tan, blonde headed girl. Her blue eyes were full of confidence and happiness. Some would say she looked out of place with her cowgirl boots and half shirt that showed her flat stomach and belly button ring, "Come this way." She said, grabbing a few menus and leading us to a table.

"My names Lily and I'd love to help you find a delicious treat." She fumbled with our menus and mine landed with a 'smack' in front of me, "Pardon me! It's my first day on the job. I'm a Junior here and needed a steady job. The wanted sign said 'pretty smiles needed', so of course I thought I'd come in and-"

"I'll take a chocolate latte." My mother interrupted as she peered into the menu.

I shot her a glare, "Mom!"

Lily's smile dropped but she cheerfully took my mothers order, "Sometimes I ramble, it's alright," her bright blue eyes met mine, "And for you?"

"A strawberry lemonade, thank you."

Lily smiled and said a quick 'welcome' then hurriedly walked to the bar and began making our drinks.

I turned to my mom who was still looking at her menu, "Mom, you didn't have to be so mean."

My mother shrugged her shoulders, "She needs to take criticism and learn how to stay quiet while on the job, it's a job, not a meet n' greet." She placed down her menu and peered at me with her hazel eyes-they matched mine.

I huffed and placed down my own menu already knowing what I wanted, "She's new, she didn't know any better."

My mother picked at her newly done manicure, "Who's going to tell her?"

I dropped the subject just in time for Lily to come back with our drinks, taking our order after.

"I have to use the bathroom. I'll be right back." My mother said, standing up in her pin skirt and high heels.

Lily came back a second later with our pastries, "I'm really sorry about my mom. She doesn't think stuff through, she runs her mouth faster then her brain."

Lily laughed and gave me a fork, "It's fine. You'd be surprised how many people have interrupted me today."

"I'm Cali. I'll be a freshman at this college next semester. We're checking out the campus."

Lily shook my outstretched hand, "I'd be happy to call myself your first friend."

"Hey sunny. How'd first day as a senior go?" I took my seat across from her and placed my books on the floor.

Lily giggled and picked at her red velvet cupcake, "I met this guy."

"Oh my gosh! No way!" I said, raising both my eyebrows at her.

She giggled again, "We have first period together. He's so dreamy." She batted her eyes and fell into a little dream.

I rolled my eyes at her and called the waitress over, giving her my usual. Strawberry lemonade with a strawberry cheesecake. Lily's phone chimed causing her to clutch her bag and quickly tear out her phone, her IPhone 6 looked too big in her hands. Her eyes brightened and she sighed, "We're going on a date tonight."

I laughed as she quickly typed him a message back and stood from my chair, "Tell me the details after I get back from the restroom."

She nodded her head distracted and waved me off. I rolled my eyes again and headed towards the back of the bakery where they held epic poem contests. A girl with dreads and a green dress stood on the stage, she was swaying to music and reciting her poem.

Distracted by the hippie I didn't think to look as I turned the corner to the bathroom. A rock solid chest hit my shoulder causing me to trip back. Closing my eyes I awaited the hard floor just like what happened earlier. Strong arms reached out to me and caught me by my waist.

"Woah there." The voice said. The voice belonged to a foreigner. Italian?

Opening my eyes I peered up at the tall figure and nearly melted as I met his hazel eyes.

+