Part 1 | Chapter 2

Start bij het begin

Their beliefs seemed stronger than a million men and I'm just a prophet.

"Seriously, Evie?" She placed her hands on her hips, "I won't do too much, I promise. It's almost senior year and you have to at least try something new. Not this casual, church looking shit, " she said and I purse my lips into a thin line.

The only reason I agreed to go to this party was that it's the first time that I actually got invited by someone else and I would feel bad. Danica would always be the one to invite me and I've always thought about it but never went through. For three years I managed to stay out of parties. It sounds pathetic but I never really see myself around drunk frat boys and half-naked crowds who dance to loud dance music.

My kind of party is the ones with beautiful dresses and gentlemen. I mean those parties are the hotspots for perfects princes so why not go there?

If only I wasn't too nice to actually go to Axel's party. I don't even know more than five people on the campus more so at that party.

"So?" Danica said with high expectations in her deep tone.

I roll my eyes and I pushed my hair back in defenselessness.

"Fine, " I groaned and she claps with a high squeal but I raise a finger, "but please don't make me wear one of those crops tops or, or tights," I warned her but the excitement in her eyes never falters.

Kinda makes me think just how predictable I am that people get excited when I do something different.

"Don't worry," she grabs both my hands and pulled my unenthusiastic body up in front of her, "you know I don't wear dresses so, I have one that I never wore and I think it would look cute on you." She gushed.

She opened her very dark closest and sifted through her clothes while I waited in anticipation. Danica doesn't have a clear cut record when it comes to her clothes.

Neon straps, white sneakers, bras, and biker shorts are her top fits and it puts my whole look to filth. But what can I say? I feel more comfortable with my whole body covered.

"Ah, here it is!" She exclaimed through the wooden door and I cross my arms while my heart knocked in my chest. Who gets nervous about dresses? Me.

She turns around with a short pink dress in her hands with straps barely visible to the eyes. It looked beautiful I must say. Apart from the fact that it's short, has an open back and an almost transparent chest. I cringed just looking at it.

"Absolutely not." I raised a hand in disappointment. She knew I would hate that. Despite it being right for the late summer of September, it's still a little too much for me.

"Oh come on!" She pouted, "It's beautiful and it covers the body." She pushed me in front of the mirror while hovering the dress in front of me, seeing if it looked nice and I look at it in disgust.

I would never look good on that. Besides, I don't wear that style.

"Dani. It's above the knees," I argued and she bursts out into a fit of laughter. I blush just watching her through the mirror because of how she's reacting. It's a valid reason to not wear something if it's above the knees. My high school didn't allow it.

"Well, little-miss-catholic-highschooler, contrary to your very unpopular opinion." She said, "you would actually look good in this. I promise. Just try it on." She tried to convince me and I bit my lip in contemplation.

It looks beautiful but is it too much? Yes. I may be 21 but that doesn't mean I suddenly drop my standards because I'm finally going to a stupid party.

My dad would never have said yes to me wearing this dress and more so on going to a party but I'm doing it anyway. I guess it's already the worst it can get right?

Figuring that there isn't anything worse I could've done and knowing that I can hide it from my parents, I caved it.

I grabbed the dress from her and went behind the closet to get changed.

"Yes! Evie's finally growing up!!!" Dani cheered while jumping up and down and I giggle while shaking my head. Even though Dani might be a little persuasive, she pays it off by being one of the best friends I could ask for.

Squeezing into the tightly fitted dress, I struggled to put on the thin straps and found myself growing more anxious the more that I put it on. I've never worn anything like this. I mean my breasts are basically out there.

"Alright, " I sighed and when Danica popped her head through the side of the door, her eyes budged out of her eyes as she gawked at me. I know she's a girl but even that makes me insecure.

"Alright, since when did you have a rocking bod?" She commented and I slap her arm into which she flinched and laughed.

"Now time for makeup."

"Nope, I can manage," I tell her and she rolls her eyes.

"Come on, "

"Hey, I let you pick the clothes. Let me do makeup." I argued before going to my desk anyway to get ready. She isn't a fan of my style let's just say that.

"Well can you at least put some eyeliner on, a little bronzer maybe."

"Why would anyone care for a bronzer. It's gonna be dark anyway right?" I tell her while patting my finger under my eye to blend in the concealer. I may not be a party-goer but Insure as hell knows that most of those places are dark and loud.

"Ugh...you are so stubborn, " she says grabbing her lipgloss and retouching her already thick layer of one.

You know what, thinking about it, maybe I wouldn't be so stubborn if I had taken some time for myself. Ever since I arrived here all I've really done is sit in the library or my room for hours in end studying biology and philosophy back to back. I was a crazed college student struggling to keep her grades in higher standards. It's worth it though.

As a kid and an only child, pride of the family is what they called me. Ranging from sports to talent shows and quiz bees were my childhood. Sometimes though I wonder what it would have been like to play in the fields like our neighbor's kids.

All I've done is work from what seems like the moment I was born. Mum and dad were proud considering that dad is from the Philippines and mum is a middle-aged American girl who worked in PR with a good degree. High standards are what I live up to. Anything less is a failure. That's why I'm stubborn, reserved, and way too boring. But habits and lifestyles are quite a task to break.

Especially with its designers calling spontaneously all week round.

"Done, " I announced in a breath as I placed the mascara back in my vanity drawer. I stand up to see Danica laying on her bed with her phone glued to her face.

"Great, Liam's waiting for us downstairs."

"You have got to be joking," I tell her with crazed eyes.

Liam is her friend with benefits as she so proudly says. A blond-haired boy with tatted arms and an insanely large ego for a man like him. He basically brags about his parents owning a car rental service every time we're around. He speaks non-stop and sometimes I wonder what Danica saw in him. I don't usually judge but he also has some extremely questionable misogynistic views but he's just too dumb to know that.

"What?" She chuckles knowing that I absolutely despise him. I only stare at her in disbelief.

"Get some shoes on and we're going before Axel gets bored." She continued before standing up and taking her purse.

I groaned but did as she said, picking up my sandals and walking out the door.

This will be an interesting night, won't it?