Chapter 26: I Think I Wanna Marry You

Start from the beginning

"I don't think your family would take very kindly to that, love."

"I know," I said, pretending to pout and reluctantly removing myself from you. "But I don't want to wait very long. I already know that I'm in love with you, and I don't see any reason for us to wait."

"You're only 18."

"And?"

"And you met me less than two months ago."

"Why should that bother you?" I asked. "Isn't that the reason you came here, to win me over?"

"Of course it is, River, but I never intended to coerce you into something. I told you it was a stupid mistake for me to take you to the cabin against your will. Please don't think it was always my plan to deceive you. I wanted you to fall in love with me. I hoped that you would fall in love with me, and I was afraid that you wouldn't. I was paralyzed by fear for so long that when I took you, it was a desperate act."

I never knew your fears, not to that extent at least. "I know, babe. I know what your intentions were. We've been over this. I forgave you for what happened at the cabin."

"I know...I just...." You were getting choked up as you spoke.

I leaned my back against the armrest of the couch, and I pulled you to lean against my chest, and I stroked your hair gently, encouraging you to continue. "What is it, Zayn? What are you afraid of?"

"I don't want to lose you. I've been completely in awe of the fact that you even let yourself get close enough to like me, let alone love me. I'm afraid that when you spend more time with me, you won't want me anymore."

"Babe, I got to know you better than I think I've ever known anyone in my life. Think about it – we were stranded in a cabin together for a month, without any outside contact, no phone or internet. I learned a lot about you because we were side by side without distractions for all of that time. That was more than enough time to fall in love with you."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," you agreed.

I sat there stroking your hair, trying to get you to relax and trust in my love for you. It was getting quite late, so I asked, "Can I spend the night?"

"I was hoping you would," you replied. "But no funny business, all right? I'm an honest, decent man."

You were so adorable, I could hardly handle it. "All right, but the same goes for you. I've missed sleeping next to you."

"Me, too."

I called my family and told them I was staying with you. They weren't very happy, but I told them I was 18 and I wasn't asking for permission. I was going to stay.

We got ready for bed and gratefully embraced each other after you turned out the light.

"Don't worry about me, Zayn. I'm not going anywhere."

You held me tight and I fell asleep securely for the first time in weeks.

The next day, I helped you get settled back into your apartment, which didn't involve much. We put away the rest of your groceries and I tidied up the place, wiping off the thick layer of dust that had accumulated since you'd been gone. Finally, we assembled your easel and took out some of your art supplies.

"Why don't you paint something right now?" I suggested.

"Well, I don't feel particularly inspired at the moment. But can I show you some of my other work?"

"Of course," I said, beaming. I found it strange that I hadn't seen any of your art work when I was at your apartment before. But then again, I didn't snoop in every closet and corner.