"A little while mom. He could use a friend right now." Dylan explained taking a sip of orange juice giving her the stop talking eyes. My mother smiled brightly knowing full and well what he was trying to do, but contiued like the stubborn woman she is.

"Of course, I wasn't implying anything, I'm just curious." She shrugged putting her mouth to her coffee mug. Dylan shook his head glaring at her.

"Not now mom." Dylan grumbled annoyed at our mother's lack of respect for privacy. Evander ate slowly looking behind him every few seconds. I couldn't keep my eyes from his shoulders the way they would flex every time he stabbed hi-

"Lucy, would you mind passing me the salt?" I jumped and grabbed the salt at the exact moment Evander did. We both looked at eachother. There was a twinkle of amusement in his eyes, but it was gone as soon as it appeared. I retracted my hand blushing furiously. "Thanks man." Dylan salted up his plate making my mouth pucker. He was going to have bad cholesterol if he kept using that much.

After breakfast Dylan decided it'd be good for us to spend some time outside to get some fresh air. Apparently Evander lived in the city and wasn't accustomed to country living. We lived on fifty acres of farm land and forest so we were pretty outdoorsy and country was basically my middle name.

"Enjoying the weather Evan?" Dylan shoved his friend playfully. I knew he was trying to loosen him up and make him feel more comfortable. I wondered why he was here of all places. Why wasn't he home with his own family? I personally didn't mind him considering he was probably the hottest thing since volcanic lava but it didn't curb my curiousity.

"It's nice." He commented sitting on the edge of the porch slouching onto his knees. My brother sat beside him and I sat beside my brother. We gazed out at the land in silence, a silence that was growing more and more uncomfortable.

"I'm gonna go get us some drinks. Be right back." Dylan announced patting Evander on the back most likely trying to escape the tension. The edginess was getting to me and I finally burst. I was much like my mother in that way. I was a conversation stater which was why I had so many friends.

"Are you glad to be back?" I asked scooting closer to him trying to get him to warm up to me. He just stared out at the open fields squinting in the bright sun which reminded me I'd forgotten my sunglasses inside.

"Yea." He nodded taking a deep breath. "It's peaceful here. Quiet." I smiled nodding looking around at my back yard. It was nice I suppose if you never really got to experience it. I had visited bigger busier places and they intrigued me so I didn't really appreciate my home until people from the city talked about how lucky I must be to live on so much land.

"Gets kind of boring sometimes, but I like it." I wasn't sure where he'd come from, but considering he was trying to escape that place I chose not to mention his home. "Have you ever ridden a horse?" I asked glancing at him. His mouth quirked into a sideways grin that I instantly fan girled over because it was so sexy.

"A long time ago, at a fair, once." He laughed, actually laughed and I was pretty proud of myself for helping him do that. He shifted opening his body more toward me and I knew he was finally cracking a little.

"Better start channeling in that memory, Dylan is probably going to force you on one." I chuckled forewarning him. Dylan returned at the mention of his name holding two glasses of tea and a bottle of water under his arm.

"What am I going to force on him?" Dylan asked plopping down between us looking at me with a disapproving look most likely because I had been talking about him behind his back. I laughed at his defensive behavior.

"Horse riding." I explained. Dylan grinned widely showing his dimples. His  blue eyes, dimples, and our blond hair was a trait we shared. We had our mother to thank.