33: George Glassing

Start from the beginning

"What can I do for you then, Sir?" the barber asked, running a hand through Timothée's hair as best he could, but it was straggly at the ends and Timmy winced.

"Um, uh, if you could leave it short on the sides and then long, well, longer on the top," he began, showing the length he wanted with his pinched thumb and index finger, only he wasn't really sure he was getting his point across. "Like that," he said finally, desperately, pointing to a picture on the wall, and the man nodded.

"Ah, sure, okay. Give me one minute," he instructed Timothée, who nodded back. Looked out of the window again, wriggling his feet in his boots as he watched the rain pelt against the sidewalk.

Timmy wasn't great with haircuts. Always felt like it was a bit of a chore, always felt like he was being too specific with what he wanted, despite the fact that what he wanted was always very basic and he was paying them for it, anyway. He usually just left it to the hairdressers on film sets. It made it easier for him to choose, because it was just, this is what they want your hair to look like so we're going to do it like that, okay?

And it would be okay, (although the bowl cut, well. Different matter entirely).

He sat there as the man snipped away, felt the itch of trimmed hair skimming his cheeks, the tops of his ears, falling around his shoulders. Wanted to reach up and scratch his head, but was too swaddled by the protective cape so he just gripped onto the metal sides of the chair and willed the itching to go away.

Then, there was the snick of a razor on the nape of his neck, and a comb in his hair, which was relaxing at first but soon became a little harsh. A bit of product, more hands combing through, and voila. He was done.

"Thanks, man," Timmy said, as the barber pulled the cape from his shoulders. He paid for the service quickly, with only a small, calculating stare from the boy behind the cash desk, which he met with a smile.

Waited until he was out of eye-range of the barber's window before pulling his cap back down, probably too far down over his head.

When he got back home, he checked his phone again, just as Pauline's reply came through.

Paulie

that is such a pretty name 🤩

go on

humor me

what is it?

13:15

Timmy

shut up

13:15

Paulie

you know its okay if she doesn't exist

I won't be mad

13:15

Timmy

she fucking exists ok

I'm just not telling you because you'll be a dick about it

13:16

Paulie

how dare you

that doesn't sound like me at all!!!

13:16

Timothée smiled in spite of himself.

Timmy

well she exists

13:16