"Okay, are any of you her family and are 18 or older?" 

"Uh.. I'm her step-daughter." I raised my hand slightly. 

"Are you 18?"

"God, no not yet." I groaned. Why couldn't I have been born a week earlier. 

"Then we're going to have to locate the father because I doubt you're actually her husband, sweetie." She said to Ashton. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. The last thing we need right now if Marcus. 

"We can't. Can't she just sign the papers?! Please, m'am we're losing time!" 

"Please calm down, honey. Okay, we'll see if she's willing to sign them." She said before looking at me, "You can come and see her since you're the closest to family we have at the moment."

"Okay. Just give me a second." I turned around and hugged the first person that I saw, which was Luke. He hugged me back very tightly and I soon stepped away. I walked over to where Michael was and hugged him too. He seemed to have had a sad look in his eye when I walked over, but I ignored it. I leaned up and pressed a kiss to his lips before walking away. I followed the doctor down the halls of the endless hospital as my heart pounded in my ears. We finally reached Martha's room and walked in. I ran over to the bed where Martha was at and saw her smile lazily. "Sky-Skylar, you're here." She looked pale and had dark circles under her eyes. She looked tired and worn out. It's so scary what childbirth can do to a woman. It makes me not want to have kids.

"It's all gonna be okay, I promise. I'm right here, Martha." I whispered against her hair as I embraced her.

"Skylar, I just want you to know that I'm sorry. I-I'm so sorry for treating you so badly all these years. And if it comes to the point where it's me or the baby... pick the baby. P-Please... pick the baby."  She was so tired she was struggling to talk. I simply nodded and told her I accepted her apology, that it was all okay.

"Martha, we're going to need you to sign these papers. Are you okay with that?" Martha nodded and took the clipboard. She seemed okay as she signed the C-section papers. I was watching her carefully, making sure she was okay at every moment as I sat patiently in the chair next to her. She finished filling out the papers and handed them back to the nurse who was in the room. The nurse ran out to turn in the papers, and soon a bunch of other nurses and the doctor rushed in with a wheely bed.  They grabbed onto the bed covers that held Martha. "One, two, three!" One of the nurses chanted before they moved Martha onto the wheely bed. An painful groan left Martha as they moved her. I flinched and almost told them to be more careful. I followed them down the hall but the doctor stopped me. "You're gonna have to wait here, kid. If it was a normal C-section, I'd let you in, but this is life or death." She said.

"But she needs me! She's so scared, m'am, please!" I cried as tears spilled from my eyes. The doctor thought it through. She seemed to realize something as she nodded. She took me to a room to change and then led me to the operation room where they were already getting started. I walked over to where Martha's head was and took a hold of her hand. "I-I'm scared, Skylar." She whimpered. They already had the rest of her body numb and were cutting her open. There was a little curtain that didn't allow Martha to see what was happening, but I could see it. "Don't worry, Martha. She'll be fine." I assured her as I caressed her cheek.

"I'm not scared that she'll die, Sky. I'm scared that she won't have a mother. I'm scared.. that I'll... that I'll die." She squeaked as a tear fell from her face. She did look pretty worn out and weak, but she couldn't die. No, please, God. Please don't take her away. 

"No. It's all gonna be okay."

"If I die, Skylar, promise me you'll take care of her. P-Promise me you'll take my place. I've never been a very good mother to you, bu-but I'm sure you'll do just fine." Her words were slurring a little bit and her eyes beginning to droop. The doctor said that it was normal, that she was just exhausted. Soon, I saw that the baby had come out. She looked a bit blue and was covered in blood and placenta. But... she wasn't crying. "Wh-why isn't she crying!" Martha yelled. The fear in her voice was so evident and it tugged at my heart until it almost fell out of my chest. The doctor began to use a little tiny pump to take out any mucus that could be clogging her nose and then did the same to her mouth. They tried the spanking technique and gave her a small whack on her butt, but still no crying. Tears filled my eyes once again as they re-did the first thing. Suddenly, a soft cry filled the room which turned into wails that came from the baby. As soon as she started crying, a nurse grabbed her and ran out of the room. 

"Where's she taking my baby!" Martha slurred. 

"They're taking her to an incubator, I think." I said as I turned back to face her, "She was crying, Martha. She'll be fine."

"What did she look like?" Martha asked.

"She had blonde hair, like you. And she had the same little tulip nose you have." I told her as her grip on my hand weakened. The doctors were currently finishing taking out the placenta and were about to stitch her up. 

"Tell her that I love her, Skylar. Tell her I fought to be with her but I can't hold o-" She trailed off before letting go of my hand. Everything went in slow motion as the line of her heart monitor went flat and the thing started beeping like crazy. I was shoved out of the way as the doctors and nurses tried to get her heart to beat again, I stood in shock as I felt my heart begin to pound. A pang in my chest hit me and soon I was crying. I was screaming her name as a few nurses dragged me out of her room. I was thrashing in their arms because I just couldn't believe what was happening. 

"MARTHA!" I screamed as they dragged me down the hall. "SHE'S DYING, YOU CAN'T JUST DRAG ME OUT! SHE NEEDS ME! I NEED HER! HER BABY NEEDS HER! PLEASE, LET ME BACK IN!" They pushed me into a vacant room as I continued to scream and cry. Martha is in the other room fighting for her life. "You can do it, Martha. Please please please, stay with us, Martha. I can't take care of her all by myself. I can't do it without you." I whimpered once they locked me in the room alone. I couldn't think of anything else besides nonononononono.

_____________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Funny, it started raining as soon as I wrote the last scene with Martha dying. Sooo... I'm a bitch. I'm so sorry guys, please don't hate me. I might let her live, idk. Possibly. Depending on my mood, I guess. I saw this post on tumblr that said: when authors kill off characters do they sit in a room and cry or have tea with satan and laugh evily? Let me tell you, I'm having tea with satan and laughing maniacly right now. 

VOTE PLS!! And I might let her live...

hehehe

~Judith <3