Chapter 6: Clear Skies

Start from the beginning

As if Touma had committed murder right then and there, Index chomped down on his head with full force, practically squeezing the brains right out of him. Through clenched jaws, she chewed a few livid words out.

"What were you doing last night, Touma? What kind of romantic things did you say? Don't you hide the truth, because I'll know if you're lying!"

"Just get off of me already!" he cried. "I promise it's not what you think!"

But Index kept gnawing and chewing like some kind woodland creature, perhaps a beaver or squirrel, and she didn't stop until Misaka herself answered the questions.

"'Misaka does not wish to cause violence,' says Misaka, disappointed in the nun for not acting in a wholesome and godly manner, but also disappointed in herself for not being clear. 'She is merely wondering when she can discuss the hanky panky with her resident boy.'"

Suddenly, Index stopped and glared at Misaka while still having her monstrous jaws clasped around Touma's head. Somehow, the acknowledgement of her godliness brought the violence to a standstill.

"So you haven't done anything shameless and immoral?" Index questioned, eyes narrowed tightly as she hunted for deception.

"'No,' answers Misaka sternly. 'However, she must say that once a ring is given to her, doing carnal activities with Misaka will not be shameless or immoral, and are in fact a natural part of life. Holy Matrimony makes these things appropriate, you see.'"

"But Touma hasn't given you a ring yet!" screeched Index.

"'While this is true,' says Misaka, ominously plotting to dethrone you in the back of her mind. 'When it comes to feminine charm and cooking skills, Misaka is unrivaled. She will be the first to receive a ring in this household.'"

"Not if I can help it!"

By that time, Touma had done his best to sneak away from the confrontation, and started apportioning some of the food to himself, completing ignoring their argument and refusing to acknowledge their presence. Their antics were just too much. Too complicated and too overwhelming for him to worry about.

As they continued bickering, he grabbed a cup of coffee then left the kitchen entirely and sat down cross-legged at the table. Beams of sunlight showered onto the floor, though they did not stretch far enough into the room to reach his skin. And as he started to eat, Touma glanced back at the tv in attempt to tune out his feisty roommates.

Index had it set to cartoons, which was exactly what he expected, and while slowly stuffing his face with delicious food, he then caught on to the elephant in the room—or rather, the elephant outside the room: sunlight.

"Hey, wait a second..." he muttered, setting his food down and staggering to his feet. He walked to the balcony door and slide it open, feeling the heat of summer without any rain. "The storm isn't here anymore. It's sunny again."

The arguing behind him suddenly came to an end as Misaka approached the back door and stood near Touma. "'So you have noticed,' determines Misaka, eager to report the necessary information about the weather. 'Firstly, Misaka would like to apologize for keeping this secret for such a long time. She is very upset with herself. Second, please allow her to explain.'"

Turning around to face her, Touma prepared himself for more ridiculousness.

"'As you know, Misakas are electric by nature and many in number. Some might say they are legion,' relays Misaka proudly. 'Since the network is scattered over Academy City, their electricity tends to cause undesired effects on occasion, such as when all Misakas are sad. Some of those effects involve influence over the weather.'"

"Wait, don't tell me..."

"'Yes, it is because of Misaka and her sisters that the storm lasted such a long time, though she will happily testify that no one died as a result,' says Misaka, hoping you do not point the finger at her and judge her unnecessarily."

Smacking his own face, Touma hung his head and groaned with exhaustion, thinking his life only got more complicated by the day. "Great," he said. "Now that you've told me, I'll be complicit if law enforcement ever figures out you caused all of that. They'll probably think it was intentional, I'll go to jail, Sphynx and Dog will have no owners, and Index with starve to death with no one to feed her...it's just fantastic, really."

"'That is highly unlikely,' Misaka states. 'She and her sisters are rather devious, you know. We are positive no one can figure out what happened.'"

Rather than argue, Touma just sighed the breath out of his lungs and asked another question: "Whatever you say. But why did the storm stop all of a sudden?"

"'That is because of you,' says Misaka, stepping toward you in order to make her next words seem more important. 'What you said last night was broadcast to all the network, and all Misakas are in agreement that you are a very nice boy. Each of them is now seeking partnership instead of feeling sad, and it is because of you that the Misakas feel hopeful.'"

Touma's brow rose up. "Well, I guess we could call that a silver lining..."

"'We most certainly can,' affirms Misaka, not stating aloud that there are other matters which need to be addressed immediately." After moving closer to Touma she stood just inches away and looked up at him, eyes emotionless like always. "Now, if you don't mind, Misaka would like to discuss the possibility of coitus at this time."

But like lightning, before Touma's face could even morph into one of terror, Index swooped down upon him, lunging into a fearsome chomp that sent unrelenting pain through his scalp. She gnawed, growled, and squeaked at him for daring to seduce Misaka—which he didn't even do—and as Touma failingly tried to escape, he screamed out with a dreadful howl:

"Curse my rotten luck!"