; two

S A M - June 17, 1962

"All right, Ham. This is my heater. I dare you to hit it." The pitcher challenged while Sam took her spot on the fence. Yes, they were talking that loud. More like they were yelling.

The red head of the sandlot team with freckles moved his lips, but Sam didn't hear what he said. The pitcher pitched the ball and the red head swung.

The ball flew and it went spiraling towards Sam. Out of reflex, she jumped down and landed on her feet. Crashes of broken bottles were heard behind her meaning that the ball had hit them.

Scott went running towards Sam again to catch the baseball but when it was long gone, he stopped. The boys started to complain and chase the red head when he started to run on the bases.

"Stupid!"

"Idiot!"

"Wait a sec. I'll get it." Scott said before running to the fence. He started to climb it, going up when he reached it.

"NO!" Someone screeched.

"NO!" The other boys chorused, then they ran towards Scott.

"Smalls!"

"Smalls, wait!"

Benny was the first one to get to reach him and he placed his hands on Scott's hips before placing him down on the dusty ground.

"Holy crap, you could've been killed." A boy with big black square glasses stated. Sam crossed her arms over her chest and walked to Scott before standing next to him.

"Yeah, yeah, truly. What are ya doin'?" Another boy who was tan and taller than Big Glasses, asked.

"You guys were leaving, so I just thought I'd hop the fence-"

"If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that." Big Glasses interrupted.

"You can't go back there, Smalls." Benny said.

"Then how do we get the ball back?" Scott asked.

"We don't." A blonde boy said.

"We don't." A similar smaller boy, repeated.

"It's history."

"It's history."

"Kiss it goodbye."

"Kiss it— "

"Shut up, Tommy."

"It's gone, man. Gone." A tall boy with small round glasses stated.

"Game's over, man. We'll just get another ball tomorrow. We'll never see it again." Benny shook his head.

"Why not?" Scott asked and Sam raised an eyebrow; he wanted to know too.

"The beast." All the boys chorused.

"What is that?" Sam thought out loud.