[ chapter 2 : a phone call ]

clouds freely drifted off in the sky. blooming flowers were littered around the academy. the sun emitted a familiar warmth that bounced off their skin and surroundings.

it's starting to finally feel like spring.

on the rooftop of hanasaki high school, sat two well known students in their usual hang out spot.

they were masumi usui and [name] [last name].

one was known all through out the academy for his good looks, his cool attitude. the other one was known for being a tv actress loved and adored by many.

"you joined a theater company?!" [name] shrieked in both surprise and excitement.

"if it's for the director, i can do anything." masumi muttered in response.

"that's the typical masumi for you..." [name] sighed as she leaned her head back against the fences of the rooftop.

"yeah..." masumi replied, his head was in the clouds whilst observing a picture of the director with the newly formed spring troupe.

"then i want to act with you someday." [name] declared.

"yeah..." came masumi's answer.

"you're not even listening..." [name] deadpanned.

"ye-" masumi started which [name] cut off with a sigh.

"mommy's got a new man. daddy's got a new mansion. i fail to understand what's keeping them from filing a divorce. it's not like anything will change drastically." [name] blurted out.

masumi stayed silent yet this time, he gave her his attention.

"even my aunt is manipulating dad. she's trying to take away all of his hard work. they're trying to put dirt in our names." [name] continued with an exasperated sigh.

"i honestly don't know what to do anymore. i mean, who would?" [name] added.

masumi didn't know what to do in situations like this. all he could offer was a pat on the head. he was well aware that they were going through the same thing.

"...a dream." he stated when he woke up in his room, cold and alone.

his name is masumi usui. a well-known bachelor. every girl's dream boy. smart, rich, cool, good-looking and well-mannered.

his life is going fairly well.

masumi went through with his normal routine for the morning. eating breakfast and preparing himself for another day at work.

his life was going fairly well until his phone rang.

"akiro, i told you not to call me on this-" masumi started.

"ma-kun!!" a cheerful voice abruptly cut off his statement, however.

this was definitely not akiro, his secretary.

"hi!!! i kinda need your help!" the voice in the other line continued.

"no." masumi replied. it's too early for this.

"aww, come on! i'm your friend, aren't i? -wait no don't answer that, i don't want to be rejected tonight." came another statement from the caller.

tonight? that means she's on the other side of the country. masumi sighed, just this once, he'll maybe hear her out.

"what is it? make it quick i have an early meeting today." masumi replied.

"okay so like my dad died but you prolly know that already, my mom left too. worse? dad left the will with my aunt! and that dad wrote conditions! they'll only give me the record label when i'm either married or she, my aunt, is dead. how's that for an explanation? good enough? that was quick wasn't it? i've improved-" she ranted. masumi sighed, she didn't change one bit.

"so what do you want me to do?" masumi asked.

this wasn't what he wished for when he woke up in the morning. this was too much trouble.

so why would he still lend her an ear and reach out to help if needed?

brushing these thoughts aside, masumi waited for her response.

"you were an actor too. i need you to act as my husband. i- wait! before you hang up or ask me why, i don't know, you could and probably do both-" she rambled on.

"...get back to the point." masumi reminded.

"oh yeah! that... ahahah... anyway, i thought it would be much easier to act instead of commiting murder." she confessed.

masumi could only sigh at his 'friend''s antics. she's still the one he knew since they were teens.

her name is, of course, [name] [last name], masumi's self-proclaimed 'friend' friend and classmate from high school. she's a television kind of actress, unlike masumi who was a theater actor. she's well-known and adored all around the world.

"of course acting would be easier than committing murder. what's your point? you can just pick up any boy from somewhere." masumi replied.

"yeah that right there is the problem you see... my aunt wouldn't accept any no-name boyfies, no. she'd only want me to marry the best of the best, popular, rich men because she's shitty just like that. anyways, you're the only one i could trust with this. don't you miss acting?" [name] said in response.

"quit it with the mind games. what do i even get in return?" masumi asked.

"oh! i... actually don't know? what could you possible want? you have everything dancing in the palm of your hand- oh! i know!! you'll forever have my love and respect!" [name] exclaimed.

"whatever. that's not even a good deal, i'm hanging up-" masumi deadpanned.

"wait, no! come on, ma-kun! just this once? i'll give you anything you want! how's that for a deal? maybe you want something more? or maybe-" [name] offered.

her rambling will never go away, will it? masumi sighed. this was draining him, and his day hasn't even started yet!

it's just playing pretend, isn't it? something like acting. something he held close to his heart and misses dearly. what harm will this thing do?

it's not like they have to love each other in order to be together, right? all he has to do is to pretend. she gets her company and they'll separate afterwards. that's all right? plus, this could be an excuse to ditch work when it gets too tiring. that's right, maybe this deal isn't too bad after all.

"fine. whatever. i'm doing it."

"really? oh my god i love you! i owe you so much! aaaaAA-" and with that, masumi hung up.