Accidental Spills

Começar do início

"Maya." Mrs. Wilder's voice causes me to open my eyes and look up. She walks over to me, holding my phone.

"Yes?"

"Here," she extends her arm and I take the phone from here, "your mom called earlier. I know you had said I shouldn't call her but she called. I had to tell her Mason took you to the ER..."

Her expression falls and Mason jerks his head to look at his mom. His eyes widen when he takes in her sombre expression and he looks down.

I gulp nervously before muttering a thank you. I can imagine my mom's reaction to not only hearing that I'm with Mason but I had to go to the ER.

Mrs. Wilder gives me a small smile before she walks out. I unlock my phone and look down at the screen.

Ten missed calls, five voice mails and three texts.

Those are just the ones from my mom. Lilly and dad also called and Bianca texted.

"Fuck!" I curse under my breath. I can see the surprise on Mason's face but I ignore it.

I lock my phone and close my eyes.

Should I call my mother back? I should read the texts and decide after.

I open Bianca's text first. She's freaked out and asking me to call her as soon as I can. My finger hesitates, hovering above my mom's messages.

"Maya, is everything alright?"

I look up at Mason. There's this sad look in his eyes and he gulps nervously. His Adam's apple bops before he softly chews on his lower lip for a few seconds.

"Uh..." I glance down at my phone. "I don't know."

Before I can hesitate some more, I click on my mom's messages. My heart almost falls when I read the last one.

Mom: Honey, are you alright? 
           Why did you not tell me you
           would be going away for the
           weekend?
           I'm coming to San Francisco. 

I know my mom. As much as I miss her and would love to see her, I know her. She will make a big deal out of this and if I'm not dragged back when the day ends, it'll be a miracle.

Without wasting another moment, I tap her name and the phone starts ringing.

I have to let her know I'm fine and that it's nothing.

"Maya Blythe Banks, are you trying to kill me?" She whisper yells. She must still be at work.

"Mom, I'm so sorry. I know I should've told you I was coming to Mason's house and-"

"Maya, what are you doing with that boy?"

"What?" I question.

"His mom told me that he had to rush you to the ER." She states, not clarifying my confusion. "The last time you were with him, you ended up in a theater room with a bullet wound. Now what did he do?"

"Mom, I just slipped on some water but I'm fine. It's just a sprain."

"You went somewhere without telling me or your dad." She says, completely ignoring my previous statement.

"I know, mom." I sigh, feeling guilty for stressing her out. "I knew nothing would happen to me here, I'm safe. It's Mrs. Wilder, she-"

"She and her criminal son got you involved with a dangerous man!" She whisper yells once more.