XIV

Black Ice

IT DIDN'T TAKE long for the witch to catch up with the two elves, the battles becoming easier without having to deal with massive hoards of the foul creatures

Eventually they parted again, Idalina going in search of Thorin, Fili and Kili.

The witch climbed the steps of the frozen ruins when a familiar drum began to play, her eyes widened as she realised what was happening.

Swiftly, the witch ran over the hill to see Azog in a tower, Fili clutched in his pale hand, clearly in pain.

Ida couldn't let the happen.
She would save him.

Before she even had time to think of a plan, a sudden force collided with her, sending her flying into the cold stone.

Thankfully it wasn't enough to knock her out, although she wish it had. Using her forearms to push her upper body of the ice, Ida raised her fingers to her forehead, blood trickling down the side as Fili cried out.

"No." It had meant to be a cry, an agonising scream as the prince fell to the ground; dead. Instead it was a pathetic whisper, a choked sob.

It was then that she realised Thorin, Bilbo and Dwalin were only a staircase away, so close and yet she knew there would be a fight before she could reach them.

Building up enough strength, Ida pushed herself from the ice, searching for whatever had knocked her down in the first place.

And she found it.

Five witches, each in black armour, each with pale and cracked faces.

"You have got to be joking."

She was exhausted, her whole body was practically burning and all she really wanted to do was collapse into a deep, never ending sleep.

"Idalina!" Bilbo cried out for her, trying to get her attention.

"I'm a little busy!" She yelled back agitatedly, before turning to the grinning witches again. "Don't suppose you can reschedule this can you?"

They didn't reply.

Idalina sighed as one of them lunged forward, raising her blackened talons in an attempt to grab her, but missed repeatedly. The other four eventually joined the fight and it wasn't long until only two remained, the others having been an easy fight.

"It's not long now." One of them snarled.

"Stop talking." Ida replied, jaw clenched before sending her dagger into the wenches head, killing her.

The final witch looked around desperately, almost as though she was scared.

With a sly grin Ida raised her hand, letting the witch colapse to the ground in agony, shooting pains penetrating her skull so intensely she was sure to wish for death. Satisfied with her work, Ida grabbed her victim by neck, dragging her to the frozen lake where Azog watched Thorin fight two of his vile orcs.