The engagement party

My excitement for this evening to come grew for the last few days, but now that the day has finally come, I was everything but excited. My problem was not taking everything into consideration when I planned it to be held in our garden. Still, I couldn't blame myself because I supposed that most of it will be taken care of by the maids and the waiters we hired especially for this evening.

But something I didn't count on was having to change Jacob's shirt twice because he kept spilling stuff on it, looking for Emma because she loved to hide under the tables and Mason being of absolutely no help with any of them. Well, I guess I could've count on the third one...

As I carefully searched under every table by lifting the table cloth up and calling Emma's name, I heard someone familiar laughing behind me.

"You never get tired, do you?" I straightened and looked at Brian. He got back after I told him to get dressed for the party.

"I don't think I'm allowed to." I said jokingly, but finding Emma was still the first thing on my mind and I looked around.

"Don't worry, she's with Laura." He smiled knowing what kind of a relief hearing that brought me.

"Oh, thank God." I felt I could've finally enjoyed the party as the rest did. But I still had that family photo in front of me that I knew would be the hardest to accomplish without breaking a sweat.

"Enjoy the evening. You deserve it."

"This night is all about you."

"And Denise." He added knowing how often I forgot about including her whenever I talked about family. Maybe it was on purpose.

"Yes, of course. But I still think Amy was so much better for you..." I couldn't help myself convincing him that what he did was wrong. Leaving Amy for Denise was the biggest mistake he ever made. Still, perhaps reminding him of that at their engagement party was a little too much.

"Oh, you said that more times than I can count. But it's too late now, isn't it?" He chuckled. Somehow I didn't think he was a hundred percent sure in this decision either. Denise gave us all major red flags ever since she became a part of our family. And the fact that she proposed to him was just a confirmation for me that she has something planed. Maybe I was wrong but I still decided to be careful.

"It's never too late to turn things around for your own good. Until you get hurt... Then it will truly be too late."

"Naomi, you know how much I love you and appreciate you. And I'd rather die than say something against you. But I don't like when you talk about my fiance that way. I have a need to protect her."

"And I understand that. You have to know that I don't mean anything bad by what I say. My only wish for you is to be happy. With the right person."

"But Denise is the right person." He insisted.

"As you say." I smiled and gave him a hug, hoping that his hands won't come for another hug once everyone's true faces reveal. He walked away to greet other guests.

"There you are." I saw Mason walking towards me when I turned around. "I've been looking all over for you."

"That's not my fault. I keep telling you we should move into a smaller house but you just won't listen."

"Okay, but then we won't be able to have maids. Is that really what you want?"

"Leave the house..." I accepted unwillingly that he won once again.

"It's so hard to process, isn't it?" He took two glasses of champagne from a waiter that passed by us.

"What exactly?" I took a sip.