Chapter 23: Blood Quills Short Lived

Start from the beginning

      My mouse scurried around, looking cute as can be. Ron was actually kind of scared as his Patronus turned out to be a dog, and Hermione was giggling as her river otter squeaked and swam around her. Everyone was really having fun, Luna trying again with Moose, her rabbit hopping around.

      That's when we heard it, the slight banging against the stone walls. Luna's rabbit had already disappeared, her focus lost, as we all glanced at the wall together. A few more bangs, the glass of the mirrors shattered. Even a few more and a small hole had formed, Harry walking up to see who was on the other side. It was Umbridge, she had found us.

      "I'll make short work of this," her high voice pitched as her toad like appearance made me feel ill. Raising a pudgy arm, she aimed her wand against the already weakened wall. Harry had moved back a few inches. "Bombarda Maxima," Harry had flown backwards, the wall caving in on itself as rubble had flung about the room.

      I gasped as I saw that the entire Inquisitorial Squad was there, looking deadly. Umbridge had been waiting for this raid for months and she was finally getting what she desperately wanted. Nothing of this sort seemed to bother me until I saw that Draco roughly yanked Cho Chang in front of him, his fist tightly clenching her robes. I swallowed back a dry heave. His face was the Draco that I hated, the Draco that I had met earlier this year, the Draco that I wasn't in love with.

      Draco must've been just as surprised as me, his entire face turning a sick milky color as he stared at me. It was almost as if I was a ghost and he was trying to tell if I was actually real or not. Umbridge's face had turned a ghastly tomato red.

      "Get them," she commanded. I had been so overwhelmed by the situation with seeing Draco here that I watched as my vision failed me, my body plummeting to the ground.

      When I came to, I was being held up by a chubby boy, either Crabbe or Goyle... the thought of them having their disgusting, meaty hands wrapped around my biceps and waist made me want to vomit. I swallowed back some heave and tried to focus on the trouble that was facing me now.

      I was surprised when I noticed it was Percy Weasley, his face covered in a smug look that I so desperately wanted to smack off of his grimy little mouth. We had been in Dumbledore's office with Fudge, Umbridge, and Kingsley Shacklebolt, all in their official Ministry robes. We all knew this meant business.

      Draco wasn't in the room, thank Merlin! Harry had now been questioned by Umbridge about the "rebellious and suspicious events" as she had called it. I desperately wanted to spit in her face, yell at her, banish her from Hogwarts, anything to get her off of our backs and let us do what we had to do. She had really brought this on herself, not teaching us the proper DADA. She had been the conductor of her own demise, and that to me was just satisfying in itself.

      Hermione, Ron, and Harry were all next to me, being held down by Percy and a friend of his from the Ministry. Umbridge was walking next to Fudge as she preached to him about the "horror" of the situation in her annoying high voice and pink suit.

      "I've been watching them for weeks," she proclaimed, Fudge seemed to be taking notes on the subject as they neared Dumbledore's desk. "and to see "Dumbledore's Army", proof of what I've been telling you right from the beginning, Cornelius."

      I had the strong urge to roll my eyes at her stupid accusations, only to be driven out of the thought by Percy tightening his grip on my shirt. His eyes darted to my face, giving me a warning glance. I suddenly felt like a prisoner.

      "All your fear-mongering about You-Know-Who never fooled us for a minute," she continued on. "We saw your lies for what they were: A smokescreen for your bid to seize control of the Ministry!" She had been looking back and forth between Fudge and what seemed to be a notepad in his hand. Yes, he did seem to be quoting her on all of this crap she was ranting on about.