Chapter 22: Dinner with the Godfrey's part 2

Start from the beginning

"It's great, Mom." Letha smiles at her mom.

"Thanks." Marie gives them all a polite smile, but Celena could sense something was disturbing Marie.  

"She uses a special marinade. What's in it again?" Norman asks his wife.

"Just a little bit of love." Marie says with a bitter smile.  

"Son of bitch, can't keep it in his pants

"Son of bitch, can't keep it in his pants." Marie's voice echoes in Celena's mind, making her choke on her water.

"Oh, my goodness, are you alright?" Marie asks in concern.  

Celena clears her throat and coughs once more, "Sorry, wrong hole." She mutters.  

Letha decides that this silence needs to be taken care of, "Did you guys see that picture in the paper of the guy walking down Liberty Avenue with a leopard on his back?"

Everyone frowns at her, shaking their heads. 

"No." "No." "Sorry." "Nope." "Clueless."

"Oh! Well, there was this guy walking naked down Liberty Avenue with a leopard on his back." Letha laughs. 

Celena and Peter frowns.

"Was the leopard alive?" Norman asks. 

"I'm not sure." Letha mutters. 

"Hmm! So, Matt, Letha tells me you want to be a doctor.  That's actually impressive." Norman says.  

"Yes, sir." Matt nods. 

"Where do you plan to go to college?" Norman asks. 

"I haven't really made my decision yet.  Maybe NYU or John Hopkins." Matt says, scratching his ear lobe.  

Norman looks impressed, "Wow, are your grades high enough for those schools?"

"He managed to get an 1520 on his SATs." Letha smirks.  

Marie laughs in shock, "That's impressive.  But why do you want to be a doctor?" She asks. 

Matt begins to think about Andrew, how he wanted to help people, "I, uh, just always wanted to help people." He gives her an uncomfortable smile.  

"Are your parents going to be helping you?" Norman asks.  

"My...my parents?  Um...well..." Matt stutters.  

"Mr. Godfrey, um, Matt's parents are actually not with us...anymore." Celena mutters with an uncomfortable look. 

"Oh! Oh, I'm sorry." Norman waves it off with an apologetic look, but frowns...a lot of death in such a family.  But...he could relate.  

"Well, Peter senior year. Pretty stressful time, right?" Norman changes the subject. 

Peter shrugs, "Not really."