30 - history lecture

Battle of Hastings 1066

The battle of Hastings took place in 1066 at Hastings. It was between the English throne, Harold Godwinson, and the Duke of Normandy, William. The English throne was argued over for a while before the Witten, the council at the time or King's advisors, chose Harold.

Harold was an Englishman and earl of Wessex. At the time Wessex was one of the richest places in Britain. He claimed that the former king, Edward the confessor, had promised him the throne.

William was a French Duke and had taken in Edward when the vikings had taken over Britain before Edward had taken back the throne. William claimed that Edward had promised him the throne years before.

The battle raged and was said that the English had a shield wall and it was so tight that if a man beside you were to be shot and killed they would still be stood up straight. The Normans turned the tide when the faked their retreat and the English went after them ultimately breaking the shield wall and giving the Normans a chance to break it.

The battle went on and in the end, the Normans won when Harold was either shot in the eye with an arrow or shot in the eye with a spear.

After the battle of Hastings, William took the English throne but the people of Britain didn't accept him as their king and William tried everything in his power to get them to accept him. A well known group between them was the North. What William did to them is known as the "Harrying of the North".

Questions about the Battle of Hastings please ask here:

Sinking of RMS Titanic 1912

Even before she sank Titanic was a massive event. She was different to the others and not just in size. The Titanic has three screw propellers unlike most at the time that only had four. Although this was new and different it played a part in the sinking. It meant that having only three made it harder to both turn and stop.

Everything about Titanic was revolutionary. Including the class system. At the time, the only classes on boats were 1st and 2nd. There wasn't a 3rd class, or that's not what it was called. It was called "Steerage". Although they were the poorest during their few days aboard the boat, it was most likely the nicest they'd ever lived. 3rd class on board Titanic was like 2nd class on most ships and sometimes even 1st class on others.

RMS Titanic was the largest moving object ever made by man at the time and was supposedly unsinkable. People never thought it actually would sink. That was the last thing the world saw coming. It was built in Harland and Wolf harbours and left from Northern Ireland to Southampton and on April 10th 1912 she left for New York.

When she hit the iceberg Titanic was near to her full speed and it was 11:40pm on the 14th of April 1912. However she went entirely beneath the surface of the ocean at 2:40am April 15th 1912. Only 25% of 3rd class passengers survived the sinking and only one 1st class child died.

Many famous people died onboard Titanic for example Benjamin Guggenheim, J.J Astor, Captain Edward Smith, Isidor and Ida Stratus who were two figures in the founding of Macy's department store.

Her sister ships were the Olympic and Britanic and her survivors saviour was RMS Carpathia. However Carpathia was sunk by a German torpedo in 1918 and her wreckage was found in 2000.

The wreckage was only found in 1985. The 1985 discovery of the Titanic stemmed from a secret United States Navy investigation of two wrecked nuclear submarines, according to the oceanographer who found the infamous ocean liner. The wreckage was found by Robert Ballard.

Fun facts

1) The SS California was actually half an hour away and could've helped but their radio operator had turned off the equipment and they thought the the flares were from some ship that was stuck on the ice.

2) Thomas Andrews, one of the men who helped design her, also passed away in the sinking unlike the other, Bruce Ismay, who snuck onto a lifeboat. It is believed that Ismay did it by dressing as a woman!

3) they only found her in 1985 because they believed she went straight downwards however she actually went in left diagonal when she sank.

4) we may think it was stupid as to not have enough lifeboats but it's actually a miracle that they got the amount they did onto the water.

5) when the Carpathia got to her they took all of the lifeboats but two so in theory there could be two lifeboats floating around in the ocean somewhere!

6) when the Titanic sank she had water in her hull and went down by the hull but later on split by the keel and the stern was vertical went she went under

7) this is two in one. You may ask "could the survivors have been eaten by sharks?" the answer is no. The reason behind that is because  it would've been far too cold for sharks. The temperature was freezing or a few degrees above.

8) they were very strict about women and children only that they let some go half full instead of letting them go with men in them.

9) only a small handful of people survived in the water as most actually died of hypothermia and not drowning or they were pulled down by the suction.

Now we get onto reasons she could've sunk.
1) she was made of IRON!! Iron!! Iron isn't exactly the strongest metal in the world because the creators wanted to knock down the prices.

2) they ignored the SS California's ice warnings. It may sound stupid but the Captain really did ignore a near by ships warnings.

3) the general arrogance and karma. If you think about it they said it was unsinkable. Obviously karma and irony would have something to say about that.

You can go ahead and watch that. You can just skip through or do what I did and watch the full thing for two hours and fourth minutes.
For those of you who may be questioning about the movie:

Jack and Rose are not real people!! There was a Joesph Dawson who worked down in the boilers and died on RMS Titanic. There was a Jack however his name is John "Jack".B.Thayer and he survived. There wasn't a Rose onboard. If there was a Jack and Rose, they are not recorded in history. Are we clear?

Questions about the sinking of Titanic please ask here:

Ending note:

I was originally going to add World Wars One and Two but then I thought "Nah you all know about them".

If you would like me to do something like this again then do let me know and tell me what you want to learn about.

What I can do for you is things in British history with the occasional part of American but Australian and other countries I've got to do research on first. Feel free to ask any questions.

This is a lot longer than I thought. Again feel free to ask any questions I don't bite much.

Star_Lord99  DONE!!