"Oh," I said, "here's your pencil back."

"It's okay; you keep it. Plus, you might need it," Randall replied with a wink. "I'll see you later," I said. Randall gave me a thumbs up, walking backward. 

~~~~

(Later That Day)

I opened the door to my dorm, took my jacket and shoes off, and put them next to my desk. I dropped the keys inside the bowl. I turned around and was met with my mother sitting on the small couch. "Oh my god," I put a hand on my chest, calming myself down. "How the hell did you get in here?" I continued. 

"That's what I need to show you," she replied, rising from the black couch. "Put your shoes and jacket back on," she added and adjusted her blazer. "I have Biology in less than an hour," I said, "You know, people who are in Pre-med shouldn't be skipping classes."

"I'll just send an email to your professor."

I watched her stroll over to the door. "Come on, we don't have all day," she waved me over. I frantically put my shoes and jacket back on. I grabbed my purse and shoved my room key and phone inside the grey pocketbook. My mother put a reassuring hand on my lower back, leading me out of the room. I quickly locked the door and followed my mother's lead. We turned a corner, I saw Randall standing next to the water fountain. I gave him a small smile before my mother grabbed my arm. I saw my friend glance at my mother with a hint of curiosity.

My mother's heels hit the sidewalk as we walked to an abandoned building. A large metal gate surrounded the building's exterior. A small blue and yellow sign read: No trespassing. "Um," I pointed to the sign, "I don't think we're allowed here." My mother sighed, rolling her eyes.

"It's fine, now come."

My mother slipped through the torn entrance of the gate. I looked around, hesitant to follow my mother's lead. "Y/N!" my mother called with raised eyebrows. I moved the gate and slipped through the hole. The door creaked as we walked inside. An aroma of mildew and dust filled the air. Mother walked through the halls as if she had been in this building multiple times. "This way," she said, stepping onto a small flight of stairs.

We were met with another stone wall. A chair sat next to it with a white cloth draped around it. I went to take the cloth off, but my mother touched my shoulder. "Don't touch anything," she warned.

"Not even myself?" I said, joking. She glared at me, not taking the joke. "Okay, jeez," I said as I put my hands up in surrender. Mother sighed in frustration, shaking her head. She reached forward and pressed her palm to one of the stones. The wall opened up to reveal a concrete-lit hallway. "Whoa," I said in awe. She walked forward and turned towards me. As I stood beside her, the secret door shut behind me, making a loud noise. We walked down the hallway. My mother's red heels made a clicking sound that echoed throughout the pathway.

"Welcome to the Hermetic Order of the Blue Rose," my mother said, waving her arms in a welcoming manner. I stood at the top of the stairs as my mother stood at the bar. "It-It's an actual thing?" I looked at my mother, shocked, "Is Michelle Obama an actual member?"

"Where did you hear that?" she asked, slightly chuckling from my absurd inference.

"Nowhere, I was just guessing."

"There's more to see," she stood up from the stool and gestured me to the large door. With a wave of her hand, the door flew open. My eyes widened at the sudden movement of the door. I was introduced to another room. This time a table sat in the middle of the room. Large pillars stood at either side of the room while small carvings aligned the walls. I ran over the drawings on the table, amazed at the little details. "It's wonderful, isn't it?" My mother said, standing behind me.