She pulls away from me and my smile instantly disappears—everything freezes. I do not see myself. How could I not notice this from before? Her skin complexion is a beautiful chocolate, her eyes brown but almost hazel in the sunlight, and her hair is twisting in dreads and fall wildly down her back and shoulders. Whereas, my coffee brown complexion matches my true mother, Faye. The same as my mocha brown eyes and the structure of my face and nose.

"Hal." She calls. "Hal, Are you okay?"

Iris nudges me and answers, "She's probably tired. It's been a long journey."

My mother lays her hand on my forehead and cocks her head to the side before questioning, "Where is your father?" She questions. "Did he not send a driver. I swear that man—" She continues to speak before walking off. "Come and put your things away. I'm sure you guys are starving. I'll call the cooks."

"Mom no." I stop her. "We can just order pizza. It's late anyway."

"Okay." She replies. "Are you going to introduce your friends." She asks while taking everyone in and the various weapons that are strapped to our bodies.

"Um—" I reply. "This is Sasha, Atlas, and Iris from school. They came down here to see Dragonkon." I explain.

"Mhmm." She nods not fully understanding. "Is it that dress up event you kids like to do these days."

I roll my eyes and it's like I naturally go into the role of a daughter even though I know she's not my real mother. She's been spelled to act this way—but she still has her wit and personality I'm sure she had before she was spelled.

The night continues and I stick to my mom like glue. She tries to nudge me away saying I'm being bad company, but I didn't care. Sasha and Atlas weren't really my friends anyway—not that I would tell her that. We all eat pizza on the stools in the kitchen because the dining room is too formal. I tell her about Red Water leaving out the secretive conspiracies, I tell her about school leaving out the deadly details, and I tell her about grandma leaving out the lies.

"It's getting late." My mother informs me. "Your friends look tired. Show them the guest bedrooms."

I show them the guest bedroom and give them all sleeping attire before informing them that we will head out early tomorrow morning. Atlas opens his mouth to argue, "We should do this tonight." But, Sasha nudges him and I turn to walk away before we can get into an argument. I head towards my dad's office and begin to flip through paperwork, cabinets, and even open his safe.

I do not find anything on Red Water, Witchery, or the Sinister Key. I frown while running my fingers through my hair. I was sure he sent me home for a reason. I continue to look for another hour before giving up—defeated.

I walk back towards Atlas and Sasha's room and stop in my tracks when I hear whispers.

"You are going against everything Eliza taught us—" Atlas hisses in a low whisper. "She's emotional, reckless, and tainted with sinister blood. How do we know if her true plan is to not take the Sinister Key for herself? How do we know if she's not in an alliance with her mother? How do we know—"

"Because I know." Sasha replies in a snarl before lowering her voice. "You didn't see—you don't know anything. When Eliza was pronounced dead, she was there, and I—" I peek around the wall to see her clenching her jaw. "I had to grieve alone; you weren't there Atlas. I saw her face when she found out the truth about her bloodline and her mother. She is just as confused as the rest of us. She wants Elijah dead the same as I want him dead." She pauses and sighs. "Let her take advantage of this time with her mother because I wish I could have had the same opportunity will Eliza."

I slowly back away before they could see me and head to my mother's room. She's leaning back on the headboard reading a novel. I run and leap into the bed like old times before grabbing the remote and turning on the TV. We use to do this often because dad would be on some important business trip or working late hours at the office—which didn't make sense because of his high-status witchery—I'm guessing his success came from his ability to spell people.

I lean my head in her lap and she puts away her book before running her fingers through my hair. I talk to her until I can't talk anymore.

I don't remember falling asleep.

The smell of breakfast awakens me the next morning. The cooks are here, and they are preparing enough food for myself and the others. However, it is not as good as Queen's food, but I devour everything anyway. I tell the others that I didn't find anything, and Atlas gives Sasha a pointed look, but he doesn't say anything.

The cooks leave and we all stand in the main room. I approach my mother and read the spell off the piece of paper my father left me. Her eyes turn black and her body goes rigid.

Sasha pulls Athene from her sheath, but I throw out my hand stopping her.

"Hal Ashes, you are releasing her from my binding spell." My mother speaks but it is my father's voice. "This means you know the truth about your bloodline and your true mother. This means I am not alive to guide you or protect you. You shall gather all information on my future plans. The information you seek is hidden underneath your bed, beneath the floor, in a safe. My journal will guide you and teach you. I wish you the best of luck, but I am not worried. I'm positive you will succeed. I love you Hal Ashes. Now, you have the ultimate control over how you wish your mother to live the rest of her life. I doubt you would want her to go back to doing drugs. Goodbye."

I roll my eyes—of course, the dead man had to throw a joke in there.

I cock my head to the side and wave my hand in my mother's face. She stands frozen and waits for me to give her an order. I clear my throat, "You are a widow. Your husband is dead, but he has left you everything including the company. You have grieved but now you are happy. You will find love if you wish, you will bear children if you wish, you will be reunited with your family if you wish. You are free. However, you will never touch drugs or alcohol again. That is what I leave you."

The woman in front of me blinks rapidly and then she inhales deeply before looking around. "What are you guys doing here?" She looks at me and I can see that the memory of me has been completely wiped away.

"We are here for dragonkon." I inform her slowly. "You allowed us to use the restroom and offered bottles of water. Remember?"

"Oh." She touches her chest. "I'm sorry. There's been a lot on my mind lately. You guys stay hydrated." She smiles and then escort us back downstairs and into the main lobby. Its as if the spell has spread and even the employees don't remember me anymore. "You guys be safe." I can't help but throw myself into her arms. She awkwardly stiffens before giving in and hugging me back. "I love you mom." I whisper so she cannot hear me. I pull away and smile, "Thank you for everything."

She returns the smile, "No problem." And then she's walking away.

Forever