𝟬𝟯. rebel spirits

SPIRITS | CHAPTER THREE

     𝐓onraq and Tenzin also came to their guidance; the worried father rode a mass of ice before using his bending to encase the spirit in ice

     𝐓onraq and Tenzin also came to their guidance; the worried father rode a mass of ice before using his bending to encase the spirit in ice. Cloud stood up and used a familiar air wheel that Tenzin taught her, zooming towards them. The spirit who appeared to be contained, broke through the top of the ice, grabbing both Tonraq and Korra, and throwing them into one of the huts and the ground respectively, however, Cloud came just in right in time and cushioned their fall.

     She didn't exactly want them to break their bones.

     Its tendrils receded and the ice exploded, the angry spirit breaking out of the containment completely. Tenzin attempted to converse with the spirit but much to their luck, he was also batted away by the spirit quite harshly. Now, there was no way Cloud was going to attempt to do the same thing after that.

     After Korra recovered, she went into the Avatar State, taking the attention of the unknown spirit as it made its way towards her once more. The two battled with each other until surprisingly, Unalaq helped them cease the wild spirit with his unfamiliar waterbending skill. Cloud and the others ran towards the Avatar, bombarding her with worried questions.

     "How are you able to control that spirit when no one else could?" Korra asked her uncle, curiosity, and amazement etched on her face.

     "As your father could tell you, I have spent my life studying the spirits and learning their ways. All of this knowledge is lost in the South, but I could teach you everything I know."

     "Chief Unalaq, clearly you are very knowledgeable, but Korra still has much to learn about airbending," Tenzin said, which made a certain Avatar scoff. "And I hope that going to the air temples will help her connect with the past Avatars." 

     "The air temples will teach her nothing," Unalaq said bluntly. "Only I can give her the training she needs to be a complete Avatar."

     Cloud had the urge to smack the back of his head, although harsher than she would do to someone. For some reason, she immediately thought he had ulterior motives. In the end, Korra decided to end her training with her uncle, which left the man hurt but he remained respectful to her as he let her go with Unalaq, who looked a bit smug much to her annoyance.

    In the morning, she watched from a distance with a small pout on her face as Tenzin loaded Oogi with their things. His wife and children were already seated on the flying bison as well as Kya. As much as she wanted to be with them at the Southern Air Temple, she promised to be there for Korra in a way that Unalaq couldn't do. Besides her friends would die if she wasn't there. Cloud thought.

     "Have fun, Dad." Cloud hugged her father as Tenzin jumped on his bison. Bumi grinned at her, the father and daughter sharing a silent mischievous agreement. "Don't stress uncle too much or he'll lose his hair."

     "What hair?" Bumi asked loudly, causing his younger brother to huff from behind them on the flying bison.

     The airbender sat on her bed, packing the supplies she needed inside her rucksack for a dangerous trip to the South Pole. Unalaq had somehow managed to convince his niece that it was the perfect place to begin her training. She glanced around the hut one last time before grabbing her orange glider and walking out of the room to meet with the others.

     "Good. You're here," Unalaq said although he didn't look too pleased with her presence. "We were just about to leave." 

    Cloud scowled lightly. "Let's go."

    She airbent herself up in the air and opened her glider, flying above the group while they rode their own respective transportation. Cloud always felt much safer up in the air. Bolin was driving a snowmobile with Eska and Desna, the poor boy looking scared out of his mind. The wind was so cold that her fingers were almost numb. From a distance, the Everstorm appeared and thunder was heard from it.

     Unbeknownst to them, another one of those dark spirits appeared in the distance, watching the group. Naga sensed the creature and turned towards it then started growling, which urged Cloud to drop down next to the animal, placing a warm hand on her side. Korra attempted to calm her polar bear dog, but when the fog cleared out, the dark spirit was now joined by two more.

     "What are those?" Bolin shrunk in his seat. 

     "Dark spirits," Korra said grimly as the fog picked up again, hiding the spirits from their view again.

     "Let's keep moving. We have to find a safe place to set up camp," Tonraq said before driving away on his snowmobile. 

     After finding a place to camp out, the group huddled around the roaring fire for warmth. Cloud sat with her legs up to her chest, burying her flushed face on it. Her short hair didn't help her feel warm at all although she was still trying that breathing technique she mastered, not realizing, her eyes started to droop as the sleepiness started taking over her. She could at least take a nap and clear out their stupid arguments. As much as she loved dramas, Unalaq just irritated her.

     Cloud didn't see that a certain firebender had unwrapped the red scarf around his neck that he never let go of, and carefully placed the fabric over neck, making sure it covered a part of her exposed face before he scooted away to give her space. Friends have to look out for each other, right? Mako pursed his lips, fiddling with his gloved hands as he stared into space.