on your mind [k. ichirouta]

dedicated to tealeafraven
2097 words / july 17, 2020
kazemaru ichirouta

"Move a little faster over there, people!"

"Eli, you're kinda blocking the way . . ."

"Ah, sorry!"

"Can someone get Charles to bring down the monkeys?"

It was the end of the day for the Tent of Mystical Fortune--a travelling group of fortune-tellers, mystics, and magicians--which had taken part in the annual Midsummer Magic Festival. Despite the fact that there were no longer any visitors, the members of the troupe were still active and energetic, packing things for their departure the next morning.

"Whew!" you exclaimed, as you dropped a crate onto the platform. "That's my last one."

Thankfully, for you, all the items were relatively easy to pack; they mostly consisted of several cushions and a few decorations which were to your liking. The rest of your things could easily fit into your train compartment.

"You're done? Ehh, that's not fair, Ren," a voice said.

You turned around to see Maya, who was sitting on the floor and sulking. Around her were scattered pieces of crystals, leatherbound books, and tarot cards. The rugs and drapes from her booth were lazily grouped in the corner; they weren't even rolled up. Not to mention, she still had to fold up her other furnishings--tables and all. She was far from finished with packing.

"At this rate, I won't finish until morning!" she exclaimed, dropping a card from her hand.

As she said this, a familiar face entered the room. In his gentle strides followed the cascade of teal wisped hair. The cheerful smile on his face was one you'd memorized a thousand times before.

He placed a box of potion bottles onto the platform and looked at the girl sprawled across the floor. Despite the kind look on his face, mercilessly, he said, "That's because you started late, Maya."

"Huh?" She snapped her head towards his direction. "Not fair, Kazemaru. We started at the same time!"

You chuckled. "I guess that just means he's faster than you."

"What?" she cried. "I've got five more boxes to fill and I don't even know where to start! Ah, there's still the table--"

You and Kazemaru glanced at each other. It was already half-past midnight, after a full day at the festival. You were ready to clock in and go to sleep . . . but if the three of you hurried, packing up could be finished by the next hour, right?

"If you want, I can help you," you said.

Kazemaru said, "Me too."

Maya stared at the both of you for a second. Then, a large, toothy grin stretched across her face. In her eyes shone a sparkle that wasn't there before. She'd just seen the universe, and the stars were standing right in front of her.

"Really? Hell yeah!"

• • •

It was 3am.

Somehow, the three of you had gotten distracted with telling stories in the midst of cleaning up. But you didn't mind; it was fun. Besides, you could just sleep on the train ride later, right?

"For real, the penguin flew to my face! The flapper thing slapped me! Then the guy went to me then just got the penguin and walked away, like, bro--"