The Song of Gregory William Yates

Start from the beginning

......................................

"I've got an investigative alert out on Yates and Nellie, her car, cell phone, and credit cards" I say. "All right, I want uniforms door to door through that campus. Get recruits if you have to" Voight said. "We've got to figure out what the connection is between Yates and Nellie. I need his working file" I say. "I pulled it. We're setting up a hotline right now, so blue is for sightings already called in, green is for places we know he's been, and red is for former crime sites with photos and intel on each victim. Also, there's a list of other hospitals he might target, and this is hotline phone number for the news" Platt said and handed us each a piece of paper. "Thanks, Trudy" Voight said.

About an hour or so later, we got something. "I've got a hit. One of the nurse's phone cards is being used a mile outside their neighborhood" Mouse said. "All right, ping the cell. Text the address to Atwater" Voight said. "I will, but a second credit card turned up at a Best Buy outside of Humboldt Park" Mouse said. "And one of the nurse's bracelets just showed up at a pawn shop. They texted a photo of the woman there too" Sean said and showed us a picture of a homeless woman. "He's passing this stuff around. Let's go" I say. "Yn" Voight said. "It would be just like him to be in one of these places. Let me do something" I say. "He's playing us" Voight said. "Fine, then send uniforms and let's pin the maps and triangulate his location" I say.

"Sergeant, the front desk just called up. A package was delivered for Detective Ln by a homeless woman who ID'd Yates as the one who paid her to drop it off. It's a big box" Kim said. "All right, get out of the building. Call the bomb squad. Get everyone out of the building now. Let's go" Voight said.

..............................................

"We x-rayed it. It's not a bomb. Your people are safe, but you're going to want to check this out" a man said to us. I walked up to the box and looked to see my name written neatly on the top of it. "Anyone have a box cutter" I ask. The man from the bomb squad handed me a pocket knife, and I used it to cut through the tape keeping the box closed. When the box was open, I peaked inside and saw a bloody hand with a note between the fingers.

"Yn, don't" Jay said as I opened up the note. "'Why don't you answer the phone when your mother calls'" I read aloud. Just then, my phone started ringing, and when I took it out from my pocket, I saw that my mom was calling. "He knows she opened the box. He's here watching. Fan out now. Go, go, go, go" Commander Crowley said. "Yates must have spoofed you. He called from his phone and made it look like your mom's" Mouse said. "Just answer it" Voight said. I took a deep breath, inhaling a huge amount of air, before pressing accept to the video call.

Yates' face popped up on the screen, and I realized that this was the first time I had actually seen him since he last sexually assaulted me. "Detective Ln. Hey. Do you know Nellie Carr? Nellie, Nurse Nellie, that is the wonderful Detective Ln. Are those dark circles under your eyes? Have you been thinking about me" Yates asked and licked his lips. "You have my attention now. What do you need" I ask. "Gosh, what do I need" Yates asked. "Did you want the concern of the city? You got that. Did you want the whole district to sit up? You did all that, but you keep sending things to me, so why don't you tell me where you are? I'll come to you" I say.

"You know where I am" Yates said. "Why don't you pretend I'm not that clever and tell me anyway" I ask. "And ruin all the fun" Yates asked. "Then tell me why you killed those four nurses when what you really wanted was Nellie" I ask. "You are trying to get me to confess with witnesses present. You are recording me without my permission, and me without a lawyer present. Shame on you, Detective" Yates said. "Then why me? Why are you leaving all the notes for me" I ask. "I haven't been able to stop thinking about you, Yn. Every day since I was arrested, I can't stop thinking about the intimate moments we shared together. The sound of my name spilling from your lips. The feeling of me inside of you. You whimpering in pain under me" Yates said. "Stop" I say, my voice shaking. "I will see you soon, Detective" Yates said and hung up.