The Women

Years had passed, Watson getting married to a woman by the name of Mary Marston, now Mary Watson. Holmes and Watson solved a handful of cases with the help of Madison and, occasionally, Mary. The more time they spent together, the more of an enigma the relationship between Holmes and Madison became to Watson. Madison being an image of class, intelligence, and beauty. Not that Holmes was ever cruel to her, but he did not act the way a normal man would around a woman such as Madison. Watson often warned his friend that if he wasn't careful someone more affectionate would steal Madison out from under him.

Holmes and Watson had gotten back from the country side to look into the murder of a country squire, a case that Madison was unable to attend with the pair, due to a previous commitment with Mary. The carriage the men are in pulls up in front of the flat, once shared by Holmes and Watson, now shared by Holmes and Madison, ever since Holmes had pushed her brother off a waterfall. An unavailable chain of events set in motion by the Professor when he went against Holmes, making himself his arch enemy. As the men step out of the carriage, Mrs. Hudson, Holmes' landlady, comes out, "Mr Holmes, I do wish you'd let me know when you're planning to come home."

Holmes lifts his pipe to his lips, "I hardly knew myself, Mrs. Hudson. That's the trouble with dismembered country squires, they're notoriously difficult to schedule."

Billy, the houseboy, hurries out of the house towards Watson, who is unloading the bags. Billy looks up to Watson, looking at a bag he is holding, "What's in there?"

"Nevermind," Watson shakes his head, unwilling to tell the boy the horrible contents of the bag.

Billy takes some of the other bags and start to take them inside, "did you catch a murderer, Mr. Holmes?"

"Caught the murderer, still looking for the legs. Think we'll call it a draw." Holmes heads inside, leaving Hudson and Watson outside.

Hudson stops Watson before he can follow Holmes inside, "and I notice you've published another of your stories, Doctor Watson."

"Yes," Watson smiles, "Did you enjoy it?"

Hudson pauses for a second's thought, "no." She then turns and heads inside, Watson following her.

"Oh?"

"I never enjoy them."

"Why not?"

"Well, I never say anything, do I? According to you, I just show people up the stairs and serve you breakfasts."

Watson hangs his coat and hat, "well, within the narrative, that is, broadly speaking, your function."

"My what?!"

"Don't feel singled out, Mrs. Hudson." Holmes shakes his head, "I'm hardly in the dog one."

"The dog one?!" Watson sounding a bit indignant.

"I'm your landlady, not a plot device." Hudson waves a finger at the boys.

"Oh, blame it on the illustrator. He's out of control. I've had to grow this mustache just so people'll recognize me." Holmes and Watson head upstairs. As the two men walk into the flat they are shocked to find two women in the room, "Good lord!" One woman dressed head to toe in black, with a lace hat and gloves, with the lace scarf on the hat covering her face. The second woman is dressed in a deep red, also with a small hat and gloves, with her lace scarf covering her face as well.

Holmes turns back to the hall, loudly shouting down the stairs. "Mrs. Hudson, there are two women in my sitting room! Is this intentional?"

Hudson calls up from the lower level of the flat. "They're clients! Said you were out; insisted on waiting."